Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Day In My Life

5:30 am  -  #4 wakes up for his morning feeding
6:45 am  -  alarm goes off for the 1st time
6:55 am  -  alarm goes off for the 2nd time
7:05 am  -  3rd time's the charm.....roll out of bed, throw on a robe, and start the kid-rousing ritual
7:22 am  -  curl Emma's hair, have a talk about how camisoles are not to be worn alone and yes, she will get a bra when she needs one but not one second sooner (what is that                      about?)
7:30 am  -  drag Jordan out of bed 
7:42 am  -  serve hearty breakfast of Wheat Chex and Rice Krispies followed by Chip Mates.  My rule is no sweetened cereal until you have eaten a bowl of unsweetened stuff first.
7:50 am  -  say "Hurry, you are going to be late!" about 50 times.  
8:00 am  -  throw snacks/lunches in backpacks, kids brush teeth, quick family prayer, and out the door to the waiting carpool
8:10 am  -  go for a quick run around my neighborhood while listening to HSM soundtracks on my iPod.........found "Bet On It" to be quite energizing.
8:50 am  -  shower, throw clothes on, apply makeup/dry hair all in about 8 minutes
9:00 am  -  say good bye to Travis as he heads into the office, make beds, do dishes
9:30 am  -  give Eli Tylenol to ease teething pains  (two bottom teeth just popped in!)
10:00 am  -  send email to youth basketball association apologizing for not being at sign ups over the weekend and assuring spots for Emma and Jordan on teams for the upcoming season
10:10 am  -  place classified ad in Daily Universe looking for college student to clear out 5 foot tall weeds in backyard of rental property/money pit/investment to prep for hydroseeding
10:30 am  -  check out trail of destruction left by Halle, lament the sad, sorry state of our house, attempt to feed Eli sweet potatoes and corn
10:45 am  -  make chocolate chip cookies for visiting teachees and eat one (or four) myself
11:00 am  -  put away Play-Doh, Perler beads, Polly Pockets, and match magic markers with lids
11:30 am  -  put Eli down for morning nap, change Halle into clean clothes, do hair
11:45 am  -  reheat leftover lasagna for our lunch
12:15 pm  -  spoon-feed Halle her leftover lasagna so she won't be late for preschool
12:25 pm  -  wake Eli up from his short nap and drive to preschool
12:36 pm  -  arrive to preschool 6 minutes late
12:45 pm  -  1st visiting teaching appt, get inspired by terrific mom of four almost grown kids
1:09 pm  -  feed Eli in parked car at 2nd appt's neighborhood pool
1:30 pm  -  arrive to 2nd appt and learn about Scentsy (very cool!)
2:15 pm  -  come home, get mail, look for Trav's lost iPhone
2:30 pm  -  throw boneless pork chops in crock pot with Montgomery Inn sauce for dinner
2:45 pm  -  drive to pick up Halle from preschool
3:00 pm  -  wait in carpool line at Jordan/Emma's school
3:30 pm  -  drive 8 kids home from school
3:45 pm  -  give Jordan and Emma 20 minutes to play Wii, print off math worksheets for homework
4:10 pm -   turn off Wii after 5 extra minutes to "just have to beat this one guy to get to the next level"  Start homework.  Listen to Emma read book about chipmunks.
4:45 pm  -  get Emma ready for soccer practice, prepare stuff to entertain Halle and Jordan at practice, tell Halle "I promise I will play polly pockets with you in a minute"
5:00 pm  -  put Eli down for nap
5:15 pm  -  shred bbq pork for sandwiches, prepare quick dinner for kids
5:30 pm  -  say, "Hurry and eat, we are going to be late!" about 50 times
5:50 pm  -  load chairs/stroller in car, wake up Eli from nap (again), leave for soccer practice
7:30 pm  -  load four dirty sweaty kids back in car to head back home, drop off overdue library books on the way
8:00 pm  -  feed kids Lucky Charms for bedtime snack, schedule time to shop for a "nicer mom who lets her kids play more video games" with Jordan
8:30 pm  -  corral kids into showers, pajamas
9:00 pm  -  brush teeth, prayers, quick bedtime story, more Tylenol for Eli
9:30 pm  -  all kids finally asleep, Travis gets home from church meetings, eat dinner together
10:00 pm - clean up messy kitchen, lament sad, sorry state of messy house
10:45 pm  - sit down at computer and check emails, my reader, and take a peek at these too cute etsy shops and dream of time for projects and more crafty know-how
11:33 pm  time for bed

The crazy thing is that I know that everyones' days are just as nuts as mine.  Not enough hours and too much stuff to do.  At least we haven't been without power for most of the week like a lot of people here.  Cincinnati has been a mess this week, due to the remnants of Hurricane Ike blowing through on Sunday.  I was thinking today that it is a very good thing that I don't drink because I would probably lock myself in a closet with a martini every afternoon to take the edge off.  For me, checking out the latest Pottery Barn mag along with a little chocolate in the carpool line has to do the trick.  Join in.  I want to see a slice of your crazy lives too.  





10 comments:

Katy Zinn said...

Wow, Sharese! To think, you talked to me on the phone during all of this today! You inspire me on so many levels. I think you need a vacation!

K Pearson said...

Sharese...I just love your blogs...you are so real! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

How funny. My friends said to me the other day, "I wish I could be a fly on your wall for a day," You just about summed it up. Too much to do, not enough time.

It's just a blessing the #4's in life learn early that crying does no good, we must all endure the 20 minute carpool line!

Keep up the great job!

Annie said...

Oh, life with four kids! We have gotten so much busier since CJ started elementary and playing sports. Now I have a picture of what it will be like when Bailey is there as well.
Every morning I am yelling "hurry, hurry, hurry, we need to go." I feel like a drill sargeant. At least I am not alone :)

Lydia said...

I got tired just reading that. If I wrote down a schedule, you would be so ashamed. I'm so impressed that you do dishes and make beds that early in the morning! I think I should seriously consider looking back at this schedule on a regular basis to remind me not to be such a slacker.

I chuckled at the imagery if you hanging out in a closet with a martini. It's definitely a good thing we don't drink because I would be right there with you, especially tonight (Anna's sitting next to me banging a DVD against her head, demanding to watch Cinderella). I love that Pottery Barn and chocolate is the perfect fix for you. I'm actually chewing on some M&M's right now, which I think is the only thing keeping me sane right now.

That was a fun post to read, by the way. I love to read about your amazing juggling skills.

Amy Eagleston said...

I am pretty sure you are at least four times busier than I am even though you only have two more kids. Seriously, I don't know that I would have the patience for your life and lack of "me time" (unless of course you count visiting teaching and depending on who you teach it may be a chore or a treat). Any way, I admire you!

510Jen said...

You are one busy girl. Can you believe all the stuff we get done in a day.

Scentsy is the best I am a rep and LOVE it.

I feel like a drill sargeant most of the time as well.

Good times that we would never trade right.

Ashley said...

Just so you know i laughed so hard it made my whole day reading about yours hahaha

Idaho Stoker Family said...

o my gosh sharese how old is emma like 5? haha i just laughed about this post

Power Up Love said...

I got tired just reading "A Day In My Life". May God Bless you.