Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Plan "A"

Photobucket
School's out.  There are lots of reasons why I am happy.  No more waking my kids up, packing lunches, homework, school bus nonsense, or calls from the nurse....(as in, "were you aware that your daughter has pink-eye?"  OR  "your son says his stomach hurts, would you like to come and pick him up?")  I wish I had the guts to say, "NO!  tell them to walk it off and tough it out".  But I never do.  I wouldn't want them to think I wasn't completely concerned with my childrens' aches and pains.  Now I have learned to just ask to speak with whichever child is ailing and I can tell within a matter of seconds if there is a fake-out going on.  
Anyhow, I got distracted by the nurse thing.  School is really out and I have need of a new plan.  Last year we tried the hidden camera approach and it worked for a little while but then they just started to flagrantly do naughty things in front of the "surveillance equipment" without any consequences and realized that they had been had.  
I have a new plan for this summer.  I want to reward good behavior instead of just issue empty threats and warnings.  I bought a roll of tickets today and will be handing them out when they do their chores, practice their sports, or do something nice.  We are absolutely terrible at the allowance thing and I hate giving them cash that inevitably gets lost or spent in one fell swoop at the snack bar.  So, they each have an empty pencil box to keep their tickets in and we made a list of things they can redeem their tickets with.  I also have the power to confiscate tickets for poor choices.  Poor choices such as:  fighting over popular seats, messy rooms, mean-ness, or other such undesirable behavior.
I hope this works.  I want to do fun things with my kids this summer BUT I also want them to have some responsibility and start helping and learning the value of work before pleasure.  

(expect Plan "B" in approximately 3.5 weeks)
(Oh, and sorry Mom, for not fully supporting your chore chart ideas.......they were awesome AND laminated!  I  t-o-t-a-l-l-y  get it now)

6 comments:

La said...

Dude, I am just impressed you have a plan. I am just sleeping in for now and letting the house go to hell. However, tickets could work. Let me know how it goes.

Amy Eagleston said...

Good luck. Summer really isn't much different than any other time of the year around here. I know it will be one day but right now it isn't.

Savage said...

I got really excited at first because I thought "SWEET, she is totally taking her punks to the movies every day!" Really, I am loving this idea! Let me know how it goes down!

amy16 said...

Sadly I've done the tickets and retired them. We are now doing popsicles sticks. 30/week= trip to grab bag (pre-purchased coveted items), 100= me day (a day all about that child, they choose all activities, movie, zoo, etc) Naughtiness results in the removal of sticks. I've been known to ask for a stick for 30 minutes computer/wii time. Works like a charm.

Good luck!

Kirsten Brockner said...

Can't wait for the report! good luck.

Sina said...

Oh.....was I supposed to have a plan? Yet again Sharese - you have inspired me. Maybe I can come up with a plan for next summer?!? Due to the weather - my "Go to the pool everyday" Plan is not working thus far!!