Wednesday, April 14, 2010

catching up....

Right now, I am in survival mode with our crazy spring schedules.  I haven't had enough time to make dinner, let alone catch up on blogging.  Since I have approximately 17 minutes until the kids get home from school, I thought I would attempt a start at catching up so that I don't throw my hands up in the air and ignore this thing until next September.

A month ago, I had my 33rd birthday.  It was a great day.  I am not one who is big on celebrating when it comes to my own birthday but luckily, I have great friends and family who won't let it go by without a little fanfare.  I consider myself very lucky.  I have a good good life and I am so grateful to have such a great circle around me.

Since I am the one who is always behind the camera, I don't have any pictures of myself as a 33 year old........like, I think there are maybe five of me total from the last year.  (not counting family pictures)  A friend was trying to convince me recently to buy the really bad spring school pictures of my kids, because they were so bad, for future funniness.  I didn't do it but then I ran across this picture of myself from 1st grade.  Lovely, no?


I remember my mom laughing about it and hesitantly plunking down the money instead of sending me in for retakes.  Now, I am reconsidering the cheesy fake springtime background pictures of my t-shirt wearing kids.

Okay, back to my birthday......I woke up to a surprise breakfast from my girls and some sweet homemade gifts and cards.

Emma made this pillow for me with her little sewing machine and was so proud of it.

My passport came in the mail on my birthday...........and I get to use it soon!  Travis bartered something with his friend, JD, who just happened to have some old skymiles lying around (you know, like we all do??) and they booked a trip for me to go visit these cool friends in SPAIN!  I leave in a couple of weeks and I am so excited.  I have never gone on a trip alone so if I can keep from hyperventilating at the thought of leaving........I think I will have fabulous time.  Great gift, huh?

I also have to mention all my fun friends who were so thoughtful and funny when it came to their cards and gifts.  I feel loved and that is a nice thing.

A couple of years ago, I wrote up a list for my mom's birthday of 50-something things I loved about her. She did it for me this year and it really made my day.  It makes me cry to read it but I love that she took the time to do this.

My favorites:  #8 "I love your stylish ruffled shirts" (family joke.......they don't appreciate my style) and #19 "I love having someone around who doesn't see all the colors right"  (We both have some color issues)  Thanks Mom!

So another year has passed.  I have to say that I am really loving my thirties.  I feel like I have finally figured out who and what I want to be and am pretty comfortable in my own skin.  Hopefully the best is really yet to come.....

6 comments:

La said...

The best is so on it's way. Really. I believe it. And I love this post, I love the pillow and I am so excited for you get to go to Spain. (Can your high school BFFs little sister tag along?)

Amy Eagleston said...

Happy belated b-day dear friend. I am so excited for your trip and can't wait to hear all the details. You are an amazing person and I have learned so much from watching you. You are out-going, brave, funny, smart and beautiful. What more could I possibly ask for in a role model?

Brett and Amy said...

Since I wasn't there for your birthday, we're totally going to celebratamos tu cumpleanos (yeah, I may have made up one or two of those words, but I figure I do it in English, so I'm going to try passing off my Spanish homegrowns as legit), when you get here. Can't wait till you come.

Lydia said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I can't wait to hear about your trip to Spain. I'm so UNBELIEVABLY jealous.

Ashley said...

Sharese you are hot, and I love you in your ruffled out shirts! Hope you day was the best I am so jealous about Spain take pictures like crazy!

510Jen said...

Happy Birthday Sharese. I loved seeing the first picture when I opened your blog. i thought I was going straight down memory lane. What a cute thing you did for your mom's 50th then she did back to you. I forot you are a little color blind. Style? What are they thinking you have always had style and I know you still do.

Happy 33 I will join you in a few.