Sunday, January 27, 2008

May Rocky R.I.P.





Our weekend got off to a rough start when Travis discovered our hamster, Rocky, lying lifeless in the corner of his cage. He immediately changed his plans for the day so that he could be there to break the news to Emma and Jordan when they got home from school. Emma was devastated, heartbroken, and just couldn't bring herself to eat anything for lunch. Jordan was also very sad and declared that "Rocky was the best hamster ever, it's not fair!" They both wrote their own private tributes to post on the grave. After a talk about hamster heaven and the dreaded wet tail disease, things started to look up. It was a delicate situation because Santa had brought the hamster to us so we had to work out the pet store return policy in secret. A trip to Jack's Aquarium and Pet Store with the now deceased Rocky ended in success. Thankfully, they were able to take care of the burial since the ground is frozen and our dog enjoys digging! We returned home with our new hamster, Oreo, and its like Christmas morning all over again!

5 comments:

Amy Eagleston said...

Welcome to the blogging world. I have never bought my kids a pet so I haven't had to deal with the dead pet stuff...yet. So sad. I hope Oreo continues to successfully fill Rocky's shoes and doesn't follow in his footsteps and die after less than a month.

Amy Eagleston said...

One more thing...Please don't post any more pics of dead hamsters...I have a major fear of all rodents and it is really creeping me out.

510Jen said...

What a way to start your blog I love it. Sorry about the hamster. Oh ya welcome to the blogging world its about time.

Mindy said...

My kids are up in the office checking out your blog! It is so fun to read it. Not fun about the hamster, and my kids feel really bad about the loss of your hamster. Can't wait to see more blogging. I checked out Amy's- she is amazing. 10 projects! WOW!

Brett and Amy said...

Sweet blog! Look at you, videos, slideshow...you're going to have to teach me a thing or two.