Friday, February 1, 2008

Classes I Should have Taken In College

I have developed a bad habit of checking out links to friends' blogs as well as to random blogs of people I do not even know. It has become addictive as I go from one to another and I am green with envy at all the cool hobbies and skills that people have. It got me to thinking about all of the skills that are needed these days as a wife and mother in order to have some idea of how to keep everything running smoothly or at least make it appear that way! I had this great roommate in college who made it a point to take a totally random, fun class every semester to broaden her horizons and to learn things that she wouldn't have otherwise known. I remember thinking at the time that she was crazy for taking beginning upholstery and floral arranging. My theory was to cram as many credits into each semester, go to summer school, and not to waste any time so that I could graduate early. This hurried approach has caused those days to become a blur and I wish that I would have stopped to enjoy myself and taken a few fun classes to become a bit more well rounded. So, this blog is dedicated to my younger sister who is in her college years. These are the classes that I should have taken while I was in school. (Feel free to add your suggestions!)

1. Creative Writing (so that my family Christmas letters and blogs could be more witty and clever)

2. Photography.......So that I could do more than point and click, my friends' blogs are putting me to shame with all the great photos!

3. Basic Plumbing-who knew all of the things that could be flushed down a toilet!

4. Accounting

5. Upholstery! For all the hand me down furniture that I have gotten over the years and could have actually done something with.

6. Yes, Floral Arranging.....after 10 years I still can't arrange a dozen roses like Martha Stewart

7. Child Psychology(see picture)

8. Culinary Arts......I don't know if this was a class but I could definitely use it!

9. Party Planning-I am very bad at this and some skills would come in handy for impressing the other preschool and PTA moms!

10. Basic Woodworking, I should have paid more attention in shop class! I would love to know how to use power tools!


Okay, I am going to stop there but I could go on and on. I do admit that I did get a great education and I can still tape an ankle with the best of them but so far it has not helped in my quest to have it all together. Luckily, I have a lot of friends who already have these skills and they have been kind enough to share their expertise with me:)

3 comments:

Amy Eagleston said...

That note is classic. I wish I had taken more literature classes. I doubt I have read more than ten classics in my entire life so even though I read like crazy I can't say I am well read.

Brett and Amy said...

Amen!-from my sister in law too, who just got a chuckle out of it.

Mindy said...

Sharese I just got caught up on your blog. I love this. Someday, I promise to join. But for now, I'll just reply. Your list is so funny. The note that Emma? wrote was so funny! It reminded me of some notes that have come our way. Brooke was being watched by Brett's parents and I guess his Mom said she couldn't have anymore food- "kitchen closed!" So later that night they were all watching a movie and Brooke starts asking Grandman how do your spell "nicer" and how do your spell "softer." Bretts mom was paying attention to a movie and gave her the spelling. That night his parents went to bed and Brooke left them a note. At first they though it would be a sweet note from their Grandchild. The note read "Grandma, you need to be nicer! Grandpa, you need to be softer! Love, Brooke" Ouch!
Then I just got a note from Landon that said, "Mom you are the bust" Um.. not right now if you know what I mean- not even close. Sorry for this long comment- is this bad blogging etiquite? I feel like these blogs will help fill the void of our morning runs with our numb bums! Sorry, it rymed. I'm sending you an email on my sister in law and my theory of blogs. I don't know if it's appropriate for a blog comment.