Earlier this year, Halle's gymnastics teacher came to us and asked if she had ever broken either of her arms before. They were working on pulling themselves up on the bar and Halle couldn't grip that way. I wondered briefly, if my parenting skills were
that bad that I didn't even notice that my daughter had broken her arms thus far in her short 3 1/2 years here on this earth. I racked my brain and couldn't come up with anything so we took her in to see our pediatrician to see what was going on. They took x-rays and told us to go ahead and make an appointment with a pediatric orthopaedic specialist for further counsel on her condition. There was a long wait to get in to see the right doctor so for the last few months, we have been paying extra attention to Halle's arm movement issues. Halle has gotten used to showing everyone her "special" arms and always says, "This one works and this one doesn't" when demonstrating her lack of range of motion.


Today, we finally had her appointment and became a bit more informed with what she's got going on. The diagnosis was "radioulnar synostosis" which means her radius and ulna are fused together at the elbow joint in both arms. This results in a limited ability to supinate her hands, the left more so than the right in her case. The doctors recommended that we do nothing at this point since it is a very serious surgery without many guarantees for increased ROM. They told us that she will live a normal life,(Phew!) and just compensate by figuring out different ways to do things. When I got home I had to go search online to see if I could find anything else out about our little diagnosis which is usually a very bad idea because there is some scary info out there. All I could find were references to kids who had Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and then a few entries under "Human Malformations and Anomalies". Since I did try to lay off on the drinking during her pregnancy and she is pretty normal-looking, (pretty darn cute actually)....... We have just tried to think up all the things she will be doing with her own sense of style.
*Pull-ups in gym class
*Receive a "five" as in "gimme five"
*Hold hands with boyfriends
*Fast-pitch softball
*Receive large amounts of change
*Do the "walk like an egyptian" dance move
*Scratch the middle part of her back
*Parallel bars in gymnastics
*Play the cello, violin, or any other stringed instrument
*Drink water from a cupped hand
*Bicep curls
All in all, we think she is going to be just fine, a bit quirky maybe, but fine nonetheless.
7 comments:
Glad to hear she will be ok. I hate when things like this happen. Can't we all live a perfect little life.
BTW i love reading your blog. you are a great writer.
First of all that is a seriously cute pic of little Halle. Second, it is a good thing you have your degree in physical therapy so that you can understand what is going on (I only understood about half of that post).
Halle is such a cutie.
Wow, Sharese, do you really have your degree in Physical Therapy? That's impressive and sad that I didn't know that!
Oh...I loved the "Human Malformations and Anomalies" part. Thanks for posting the x-rays and talking in medical terminology- it makes me feel all technical and educated when you do that!! I love reading your blog Sharese - in my opinion, you are right up there with the pioneer woman.
You'll have to start practicing now giving her large amounts of change so that she can learn to make do with her limited range. Seriously, how long did it take you to brainstorm "the list"?
Okay people, I appreciate your comments but I am sad to let you all down with the fact that my degree is only in sports medicine....maybe someday I will go for a further degree in PT. I have to admit that it was kind of cool to listen to the DRs and know what they were talking about:) Sadly, other than caring for my kids biking cuts/scrapes and assessing a little leaguer's injury here and there.....all my studying and memorizing in college has gone to waste in the last 10 years.
Sharese, I love reading your blog. That is so crazy about her arm. Halle looks more like Emma. I'll have to send you pictures of Clark and Chelsea. I think I may start a blog this summer. I miss you. Mindy
Post a Comment