Every few years we have a major hatching of cicadas . Since my kids are all very bug-friendly, they have been having a heyday with the little critters. We have a great tree in our front yard that has unfortunately been infested and my kids have spent hours outside collecting, squishing, and shaking the branches to watch them buzz around for a few seconds before they swarm back onto the tree. I think the tree is in danger of becoming a casualty soon but I'm not sure what will kill it first......the cicadas, or my kids hanging from the branches or beating it with sticks, garden tools, or hosing it down with our high pressure spray-nozzle. Did I mention that they also make this beautiful buzzing noise that permeates every outdoor space.......and indoors when they manage to sneak in on the back of someone's jacket or bag?
Monday, June 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Those things completely freak me out. When we moved to Kansas City, I heard them one night for the first time and wanted to move back to Utah to get away from the freaky loud bugs.
Yikes, those pictures are crazy! My kids especially enjoyed the photos. They have been playing all around me while I've been in the computer, and Tommy caught a glimpse of the picture. They were silent for a few minutes staring in awe at the thousands of bugs. Thanks for the few minutes of silence!
Crazy! They look like cockroaches.
As I read, I hear the high pitched buzz coming from the back yard. We only have a few and they still make such a racket. My kids probably wouldn't go outside if that were our tree. They like them, until they are outnumbered by them.
Verklempt? You speak Yiddish now? Did you use the thesauraus or is that really part of your every day vocabulary? Good word.
OK, Sharese, I have to leave another comment about your post. Seriously, I shiver all over whenever I check your blog for a new post. Nasty things.
Bug Heaven! Sounds exciting! By the way your blog is the best. We think that you should get some sponsors to advertise on your site and then you could be a sugar momma! No really.
Devin & Julie
Post a Comment