Friday, June 20, 2008

Target Audience

Of all the advances in modern technology that have come about over the last decade or so, I think, sadly, that the Tivo has impacted our lives most of all. We are not big tv watchers at our house unless there is a sporting event going on. Except that there is always a sporting event going on. I know not what I say.
Anyway, what I am trying to get at is that unless there is some sort of sports programming on, we don't really get tied down to the tube. Wait. I meant unless it is sports, The Office, 24, or Lost that is on.......we don't watch a whole lot.
As for my kids, I don't normally let them just turn on the tv to find something to watch. I have picked a few shows for them that I find the least brain-draining and I Tivo them so that when they have finished the items on their daily lists, they can sit down and watch a show that has a definite start and finish time. Right now Halle is going through a Max & Ruby infatuation so we have a large quantity of episodes stockpiled. I realize that watching this show is not going to add a whole lot of smarts but at least it is cute and innocent and the characters are nice to eachother.

I know that parents should not use cartoons as babysitting and that according to Parents magazine, I should be sitting down with my kids and watching the shows together, asking them questions, and making sure that their little brains are working at all times. Alas, I use these precious 30 minute increments of calm, quiet time to do things that require two hands and no distractions.

The only problem with Tivoing the same shows....especially on some cable channels, is that you also get the same commercials for ridiculous products shown over and over again. If I was the ideal parent, I would be sitting with my kids and fastforwarding through these things. I used to wonder why companies were advertising items like Space Saver bags, Mighty Putty, Green Bags, Ab Rollers, Weed claws, Pet Meds, Roll n'Grow, and countless other useless things to kids between the ages of 2-5. I don't wonder any more. Now that my 3 year old can recite the slogans and sales pitches of each and every one of these products...and does so on a very frequent basis. These companies are very clever. They know that my young children are very easily convinced that having their products will greatly improve the quality of our lives. I can easily resist their low budget commercials but when my kids have been fully brainwashed to believe that all of our flowers will die if we do not have Water Globes........these products suddenly have my full attention.

Here is a snippet of our usual conversation during tv time:

Halle: "Mooom, hurry and come see this!"

Me: "I've already seen it lots of times..."

Emma: "Mom, you have to call the number right now!"

Me: We really don't need any of that stuff."

Halle: "But you never have to water your flowers!"
Emma: "We need to go to Sylvan so I don't forget everything I learned in Kindergarten!"
Me: "We can read everyday and do a few worksheets and you will be f i n e."
Emma: "Our vegetables will last much longer if we have those bags!"
Emma: "IT only costs $19.95!"
Me: "What a bargain!"

I realized that we might have a problem when my girls were making signs for their potential lemonade stand:

I am not sure if I should applaud their efforts as future entrepreneurs, buy some ad time on Nick Jr., or crush their dreams with the harsh realities of supply and demand.

I think those As Seen On TV people have definitely found their "target audience".



3 comments:

Brett and Amy said...

I wish I could be there to hear Halle's plea for water globes. Gavin was so captivated by the Swivel Sweeper, it was on his Christmas list last year.

Amy Eagleston said...

That is so funny. We don't have tivo or dvr or cable but don't worry that doesn't keep us from watching our fair share of movies and local programing. George has no concept of commercials and whenever he see one he always says, "Mom, push play" because he thinks it is a preview. I think that the people who say that you shouldn't use tv as a babysitter never had kids or maybe the did and they were just perfect parents who never made any mistakes and now they think they can tell the rest of us what we should and shouldn't do.

Lydia said...

Oh my word, that is so funny! Tommy nags me all the time to get that funky plant water globe thingy that you stick in your pots. He tells me about this every time I water my plants.

That's cute that Halle loves Max and Ruby. Anna can't get enough of it, and as tempting as it would be to allow her to watch it all day, I'll allow about an hour while I get my much needed alone time.