Monday, June 23, 2008

Select Baseball

Not sure if I have mentioned it before....but Travis coaches a "premier" select 8U baseball team here in Cincinnati. It really is an honor to be asked to coach one of these teams and most of the players who continue on with this organization get scholarships to play at the next level. This is all fine and great except that sometimes honor just isn't enough. It is a very good thing that he loves the game of baseball, really enjoys coaching, and is exceptionally good at it. The downsides are that it is wholly without pay, requires more hours than most full-time jobs, and requires us to deal with a lot of select-sport politicking that goes on between the parents as well as other coaches. It is a very interesting culture to be thrown into and I have been surprised to find that I am one of the few moms who has, gasp!, other interests than furthering my son's baseball career. It is hard to believe that at this young age, they are already practicing indoors twice a week from December until March, then playing 40+ games from April until July......not counting tournaments and the World Series in August. Oh, and did I mention that our game/practice facility are a mere 40 minutes from where we live? It has made for a crazy schedule this spring with a new baby and us dividing and conquering to get to simultaneous baseball and soccer games. I really can't fathom what it will be like when all four of our kids are involved.
Baseball has taken over our household. We have a garage full of bats, helmets, catchers gear, more baseballs than you can possibly imagine, tees, hitbacks, bases, water bottles, Gatorade in bulk, cleats, and dirt. Lots of dirt. Last week was especially crazy with our team hosting the Flames Summer Classic. We had four teams back out at the last minute so Travis had to scramble to find replacements which finally came together on the day before it started. I keep questioning whether all the work, time spent at the field and him on the phone every night reassuring parents and kids regarding playing time, hitting techniques, baserunning decisions....etc, is worth it. Then, when they arrive home, as triumphant victors with smiles and larger than life egos......I can't help but join in and pat them on the back for a job well done.
Congrats to the Champions!




Posted by Picasa
Is it bad that my first thought when I see this trophy is..."Where the heck are we going to put that thing?"
Here are some clips of Jordan from this season.......yep, we have every single at-bat on video.


Here is the game-winning hit with bases loaded in the Championship game. Travis has a parent who mans the camera at the games. We love listening to all of the parents' commentary throughout the footage......we get to know exactly what they are thinking:)


4 comments:

Lydia said...

Congrats to the champions! Wow, that is a lot of hard work and dedication. I'm impressed.

I loved your first thought when you saw the trophy. I can't wait to see where you put it. That thing is huge!

Amy Eagleston said...

Holy Moley...That is a ton of work...Glad I didn't marry Nathan.

Reese said...

Yep...Amy, you would totally be living my life right now:)

Sina said...

Okay Sharese....after reading this I think to myself...what do I do with my time. If you can manage all this plus 3 other kids (1 being a newborn) plus your house plus your sanity. Impressive. Good work lady - you are a wonderful dedicated mother.