Sunday, September 7, 2008

Memphis Y'all


This weekend we went to Memphis, TN.  Why?  Because we just can't seem to get enough of road trips these days.  One of Trav's good friends got married and invited us down to be part of the festivities.  Since both the bride and groom live in Knoxville, we just assumed that is where the wedding would be and although we were excited to go, we were dreading the 5 hour drive to get there.  The night before we left, we did a quick mapquest on the town we were headed to and uh, it turned out that we were in for an 8 HOUR drive to the bride's hometown.  This changed things quite a bit.  We had planned on a leisurely afternoon drive and now had to plan for an all- day excursion.  WOW.  I am just not a big fan of road trips and after our past month of all-out travel, I was not happy to have to load my four kids and all our stuff into our gas guzzling SUV and do it all over again.  So, luckily our kids were very good on the drive down and we did have a good time.  I really love living in this area and being able to spend time down South, be close to the East Coast, Midwest, and also venture out West to see my family as often as possible.  I have learned to appreciate the cultural diversity of each area and so although it was a LONG drive to get there and back, I have to say that Memphis is a pretty cool town.  I loved the thick southern accents everyone had but it also made me wonder how exactly my mixture of Idaho hick/Cincinnati style accent sounded to them.  Hmmmm.  I guess I will never know.  Anyway, we truly got to experience southern hospitality at its finest........they really know how to throw a great wedding party.  




We had lunch at a great hamburger joint, Hueys, where it is a tradition to blow toothpicks through your straws and try to get them to stick on the ceiling.  Unfortunately, my kids needed a bit more oomph and ended up sending missiles to nearby tables.  Eli just liked the pickles.



Jordan, Emma, and Halle were responsible for the guest book and handing out programs.  They took their jobs very seriously and were rewarded with baseball cards and new Webkinz for their efforts.  Bonus.  They had no idea that gifts would be involved.  And they want you to know that they are available for any upcoming weddings.

Travis and the groom, Brad

In the South, college football is life.  Here is one of the cakes on display.  Go Vols!


Here we are with the happy couple

So we spent about 24 hours there and 16 hours getting there and back.  Whew!  Am I glad to be home.

5 comments:

Brett and Amy said...

So, OBX should be no problem right? I mean, what's another 13 hour drive? It sounds like you have road trips down

Lydia said...

Those lovely road trips...I swear I'm a screaming banshee by the time we reach our destination.

Cute pictures of your family, by the way. You always look amazing.

Annie said...

Hey I just saw your blog address on facebook. YOu have such a cute family! IT is great to see pictures after so long. I think the last time I saw you was your wedding. This is great!

Annie said...

Hey! We live in Orem. The only time I ventured out of Utah was the year at Ricks. What took you guys to Ohio? Is Travis from there? How old is your baby?

Kirsten Brockner said...

that is too funny about the cake! at my bro-in-laws wedding his grooms cake was a LSU tigers cake!
by the way you don't look like you need to lose any weight. you look great.