Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Way to Go, Idaho!


 We moved to Idaho as I was about to start high school and I thought my life was ending.  Of course, coming from the "big city" of Salt Lake, I was definitely up on all things hip and fashionable.  Right.  It was a hard adjustment for me but it probably had more to do with the timing and already feeling vulnerable during those teen years of angst and identity searching.  Thankfully, I did make it through and have a lot of great friends from both places now to show for it.  Now as I take my own children back to visit, I really appreciate the slower pace and plethora of outdoorsy things to do.  With a large family like ours, we can only gather about once a year so we try to cram as many activities into our time together as is humanly possible.  My parents did a great job of trying to make everyone happy and entertained.......which is a pretty monumental task considering all of the ages and personalities they were dealing with.

{The Reunion}

We did a lot of Olympics watching

Played lots of Speed Scrabble and Rummikub.....I am anxious for a rematch!


This 16 passenger van was our mode of transport for the trip.  This was our view from the back seat.  Halle thought it was an actual tour bus and kept asking when it was time to get back on the "tour bus" again.  



We made our first stop in Island Park for a hike, lunch and horseback riding.  Halle had her pick of uncles willing to cart her around.



My kids got to have their first experience riding a horse that didn't require tokens.  They loved it!  


We only had one little detour to the local mechanic shop for a near blowout.  Something is always bound to go wrong when traveling with that many people on that tight of a schedule.  Lucky for us, we had several strapping young men along who were anxious to prove their manhood by fixing the tire.

We got to meet my sister Ashley's boy toy, Matt.  Nice guy.  Even nicer to spend the whole day with ALL of us!   Somehow Emma got convinced that he was part of the cast of High School Musical and she wouldn't leave his side for the rest of the day.


I had to keep a close watch on my baby bjorn.  I think they liked it a little too much.

Caught ya!  I am pretty sure that he is texting all his friends about how great the Playmill Theatre was.


Aunt Natalie.......when did she grow up?

Mutual admiration?  I think so.



We capped off the weekend with a family talent show.  We had a little bit of everything......from lip syncs to baseball skills, breakdancing, comedic readings, singing, interpretive dance (that was us!) Travis and I re-enacted the mattress dance from the hit show of the summer "So You Think You Can Dance"  with rose petals and all.  To see our inspiration, click here.  Of course, we were fully clothed and performed with far less grace but it was funny nonetheless.

  After it was all over, I had to ask my parents if they felt truly blessed to have such a "talented" family.  Yep, of course they do!  

next up
{Yellowstone}


8 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, Sharese, I was so hoping for a video clip of you and Travis. It would have made my day! :) Wish I could figure out my stupid blog so comments could be left again...as soon as we come up with a new name (I can't post why we're changing it), I'm switching to blogspot...
Anyway, it's good to have you home. I missed your posts while you were gone! ;)

Amy Eagleston said...

Please tell me you have a clip of the mattress dance to share. I promise to return to the blogging world and never leave again if only you will post it for my (and others) entertainment.

Lydia said...

I'm with everybody else--Where's the clip? I would have loved to see that talent show. You always knew how to liven it up. Remember our h.s. talent show when we dressed up like Milli Vanilli (sp?) and did the whole bit like running towards each other and doing the chest bump?

It's great to see your family again. When did we get so old?!

amy16 said...

Of all the Stoker stories we heard, we missed the one on the mattress dance! You are depriving us of a good laugh. Trav dancing at all is worth the post.

Reese said...

Seriously. If there was footage, I really don't think there is much of a chance of any of you seeing it! Your imagination is WAY better, trust me. Although Amy's promise is a bit tempting! And Lydia, yes I do remember our Milli Vanilli lip sync(which sadly, the rest of the students just did not get) and our dancing performance was at or below that.

Tiffany said...

Too bad about the lack of video footage. We could always pull out some old clips of Travis performing at our Beck Family Reunions. Probably not as good, but....

By the way, I love the 16 passenger van! It's a classic!!

510Jen said...

Oh how fun it is to see all of your siblings all grown up.

Why are your mom socks not matching. Must be a part of the talent show. I would have paid good money to see this one.

Is this her dance studio? Oh how times have not changed and neither have your parents!

Ashley said...

oh for all your information I was not only there while they were rehearsing for the dance but got to see it live with rose petals and all. I was laughing so hard (no offense sharese) travis and sharese were made to perform that dance!