A few months ago, a few of my friends from high school did these lists of 100 interesting things about themselves. I had so much fun reading theirs that I thought I would join in even though it has taken me far too long to get it done. So here goes.......I am sure you are all just dying to spend 10 minutes reading all about me.
1. I always get those little word verification things wrong when I leave blog comments. Sometimes it takes me three tries to get it right. It must be a left brain right brain thing.
2. My hair always falls out a lot after having a baby. I hate it.
3. I have killer crossword puzzle skills. My husband makes fun of me for doing them but when I am 90 and still have all my mental capabilities intact...he will wish he had exercised his brain a bit more.
4. I don't care for soda at all.
5. And diet soda? Even worse. I mean, if you are going to have some carbonation, at least have something that tastes decent. Or just drink Gatorade, it is nectar from heaven.
6. I am colorblind (blue-green) which means that I get the shades from black all the way to light green all mixed up. A lot of my clothing/decorating choices reflect this problem so feel free to pull me aside when I have made a serious color blunder.
7. I can't see yellow highlighter.
8. I had braces for 3 1/2 years and now my top teeth are crooked again. Retainers are so underrated.
9. For $2000 I can get them straight again. Is it worth it?
10. I have strong Idaho farming roots.
11. My first paying job(aside from babysitting) was moving sprinkler pipe at 4:30 a.m. and then every four hours throughout the day. Every day. All summer. For like $3 an hour. Either I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed or wanted to work on my biceps really bad.
12. Trophies and bobbleheads can be found in every room of my house. None of them are mine.
13. I think I am pretty low maintenance.
14. I have never had my nails done. I don't like wearing nail polish.
15. I have had less than 5 pedicures in my life.
16. I hate cleaning bathrooms.
17. I like doing laundry but detest ironing.
18. I played golf in high school. I fell in love with all the rules, etiquette, clothes, and lingo. I can't wait to play more when my kids are older. I will be out on the links with my girlfriends wearing a sweet sweater vest with matching argyle socks.
19. I am not really a shoe person. I stick with black, brown, and I have a thing with white Nike running shoes. Other than that, I don't care too much. Maybe I should get more pedicures.
20. I don't know how to accessorize. I feel like a tool when I try to add a belt, scarf, hat, or even a headband to my outfits.
21. The same goes for jewelry. When I wear anything more than my wedding rings, I can't wait to get home and take it off.
22. I can tape an ankle in under 60 seconds.
23. I love to sew. But only cool stuff. No quilts or pot holders here.
24. I don't love to unpick the things I sew. But I spend a lot of time doing just that.
25. We moved a lot when I was growing up.
26. I have lived in Washington, Utah, Kansas, Idaho, Kentucky, and Ohio.
27. I love to run. FACT: <10 miles="runner.">10 minute miles=jogger. I can't wait to be a runner again!
28. I love rocking out to music when I run/jog. Beyonce and Bono are some of my closest friends on my iPod.
29. I went to Ricks College in Rexburg, ID and got my associate degree in 1 1/2 years and then finished up at Brigham Young University for my bachelors degree in sports medicine. I tried not to waste much time by taking 20+ credit hours every semester and going to summer school every year.
30. I worked 20-30 hours a week at the MTC gym treating and diagnosing missionaries' injuries from 6am-10am every morning during college.
31. I also spent 20-30 hours a week on team assignments for my major in sports medicine.
32. I slept through A LOT of classes. I fell asleep A LOT at the library. I probably remember about 20% of what I learned.
33. I loved every minute of my time in Provo, I remember walking to classes every day and looking up at the mountains and thinking how lucky I was to be there. Go Cougars!
34. My name is consistently on the list of top 100 African-American baby names. Except it is often with a hyphen.....Sha-Reese or something similar.
35. I like animals but not as pets.
36. My first car was a light blue 1983 Honda Accord. It was 10 years old when I started driving it but I was so happy to have a car that I didn't care. It went through several siblings after me as well. Lucky them. At our house, we considered any car that had fewer than 100k miles to be pretty darn sweet.
37. I have stellar spelling skills. I won lots of spelling bees in elementary school, it is the closest I have ever gotten to feeling the thrill of competition. I just do not possess that competitive drive to win at all costs.
38. I believe most of my spelling skills come from my love of reading. To me, there is nothing better than curling up on the couch with a good book.
39. I used to stay up really late reading as a child with a flashlight under my covers. I love seeing my kids do the same even though I pretend to be mad that they are staying up way past their bedtimes.
40. I am lactose-intolerant.
41. I love to try to figure out how things are made and recreate them in my own style. I guess that makes me a copycat but I really love the challenge of doing things myself rather than buying them off the shelf. Within reason, of course.
42. When I was only responsible for myself, I was very organized. Even my underwear and socks were color coordinated. Now, things have changed. I need major help in keeping my home put together.
43. I have no clue how to wear lipstick.
44. I have five brothers and four sisters(three living). I am the oldest and wisest of the bunch.
45. When my youngest sister has kids, I will probably be in my forties. Scary!
46. If I didn't blog, there would be no written record of the daily happenings in our home. Although our future posterity will think they had one loco grandma because of the things I wrote about my family.
47. I don't let my kids watch cartoons that I think are weird. On that list would be Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents, rugrats and pretty much any japanese anime-looking show.
48. I also think that Bratz dolls are disgusting. I mean, what 5 year old little girl needs to know about bling-bling or how to apply makeup to look like Cleopatra the street walker.
49. Of course, my kids are enthralled by all of the things that I just listed above. I have to remind myself that by vehemently forbidding things I only make them all the more enticing.
50. Ice cream is my favorite treat. #40 makes that a problem.
51. I was never into the 80's big hair bands like a lot of my friends. Nope. I was much cooler. I liked me some Milli Vanilli, NKOTB, and Debbie Gibson. I was very upset when the whole lip-synching scandal came about.
52. I love Pottery Barn. But I have come to realize that I am mostly in love with the idea of a clean, uncluttered, perfectly matched house with perfectly dressed little kids who are content to sit quietly at a table and play with their perfect little toys. And put them away in their perfectly arranged little bins.
54. I have had skin exzema my whole life. I have always envied people with pretty, clear skin. It is something I have finally decided not to be self conscious about.
55. I have a lot of friends named Amy.
56. My hair causes me a lot of stress.
57. I believe that a healthy dose of laughter and sarcasm can solve most problems.
58. I have a huge list of things I want to learn how to do.......and about 8 minutes each day that I can devote to learning them. At the top of the list are learning photoshop, flower arranging, upholstery, and how to use power tools.
59. I can't sing.
60. I take my kids to the library at least once a week. It is one of our favorite places to go.
61. Ditto for Target. And Costco.
62. After reading the book, Fast Food Nation, I have a really hard time eating out.
63. I am and always have been, a sucker for a good sweater vest.
64. Public speaking terrifies me. I tend to talk really fast, forget to breathe, and then nearly pass out from lack of oxygen. And I forget everyones' names. Even people that I know really well. So embarrassing.
65. I haven't eaten a hot dog or bologna since I was like 9 years old. I would rather go hungry than put any form of mystery meat into my body.
66. Spiders really scare me.
67. I do not own a single pair of Crocs.
68. I got suspended in high school for two days for painting our rival high school's "rock" with our school colors.
69. I wish that I could have a cool accent for one day.
70. I know more about sports than most men.
71. I have guilt issues about hiring a cleaning lady. I really need the help but I have a little voice at the back of my head saying, "Don't be wimpy, you can do it yourself." or "Spend less time blogging and more time cleaning." And I worry that my kids will not learn to take responsibility for picking up after themselves or learn how to clean a toilet. But at the same time, they aren't really doing either of those things right now. I think it is time to just say Uncle and get some help.
72. I really miss living near mountains, breathing fresh air, and having four very distinct seasons.
73. On the other hand, I really like being in Cincinnati. After living here for the past 8 years, it feels like home to me. I have lived here longer than I have ever lived anywhere else since we moved around so much when I was growing up.
74. I LOVE fabric. I like to collect it and dream up cool things to do with it. Someday I would love to have a cool set of shelves to display it all instead of having it in piles all over my little sewing table.
75. Making stuff out of paper completely freaks me out. Stuff like scrapbooking, designing bulletin boards, homemade cards, and handouts are a nightmare for me and I would do anything to get out of them. I have always really tried my best to fulfill callings at church but a couple of years ago, I had to be in charge of the Relief Society bulletin board and I failed miserably. It was so ugly and it stressed me out way more than it should have.
76. I really strongly dislike seafood. It can stay right where it belongs in the sea as far as I am concerned. I think it may have started when, as a young child, I remember my grandmother frying up freshly caught fish in a vat of oil on her ancient stove. The smell was really nasty and permeated the whole house.
77. I also am not very adventurous when it comes to trying new things, especially at restaurants. Sushi? No thanks. Veal? Nope, none for me.
78. I was a salad bar girl/hostess at Sizzler for about a year in high school. I will never eat there again.
79. I am quite handy when it comes to fixing things around the house. I love putting stuff together and Travis is more than happy to let me take over on this one. He doesn't do instruction manuals.
80. I can't park.
81. I will never wear skinny jeans. I don't think they look good on anybody over the age of 8.
82. My wedding cake was made out of rice krispie treats. And my wedding bouquet was made out of fake flowers. So classy.
83. I have no idea how to use a flat iron.
84. I don't enjoy swimming.
85. Spelling errors really bother me.
86. The only thing that I am OCD about is my dishwasher. My closets, drawers, cabinets? Not so much.
87. I know my way around a potato cellar. And a grain elevator. One of my grandfathers was a farmer and the other, a grain broker. I grew up going on vacations to visit them and exploring old barns and dusty grain bins never knowing what I was missing out on at the beach or amusement park.
88. My favorite food is bread, bread, bread. Carbs are the best.
89. Someday I would love to turn one of my hobbies into a money-making venture.
90. I LOVE it when Travis or my kids throw their socks, shoes, clothes on the floor and I get to pick them all up. I could spend hours doing it. Oh, wait. I do.
91. I think Jack Bauer and Michael Scott are totally awesome.
92. Tina Fey's impression of Sarah Palin makes me laugh really hard.
(if you haven't already seen this, you must watch it right now!)
93. My favorite vacation spot is Hawaii. This is the spot that we stayed at a couple of years ago and I dream of going back and basking in the sun while sitting in the carpool line.
94. I lie awake at night wishing I had more patience, worrying about each of my kids, and hoping that I can get it together better the next day.95. It is much easier for me to express myself on paper than just by speaking. Blogging can be a waste of time but it is also therapeutic to put my thoughts out there and be validated by my friends and family.
96. I love my husband and my kids. Even though life isn't all roses all the time, I am so happy to be going through it with each of them. I am grateful for the faith we share that binds us together as a family.
97. Although I tend to be sarcastic and make fun of everything and everyone, my heart is not made of cellophane. I just like to look for the humor in every situation. It makes life so much more fun.
98. Reading sappy stories in magazines always makes me cry.
99. I check my blog for comments way more often than I check my phone for messages.
100. I am happy.
100. I am happy.
Whew!! That only took me 4 months to finish. I am not tagging anyone but feel free to do your own list if you so desire. I promise to read it. Especially after you just spent so much time reading mine.
11 comments:
Wow, we have a lot in common! I enjoyed reading this, and I think I am going to do my own!
Wow, so much I never knew. And even though you had already told me about your wedding cake, I got another healthy dose of laughter reading about it. Sorry for any spelling errors, I don't think there's spell check in the comment section and I don't usually take the time to re-read.
I always get that annoying word verification wrong! After attempting and failing twice, I usually say, "Forget it!"
Your diet soda comment made me laught out loud. I couldn't agree more. Seriously, what is the point?
Nail polish (no thanks), pedicures (no one is ever allowed to touch my feet), shoes (my daughter has more shoes than me - a lot more), accessorizing (yeah right), and lipstick (I resemble Bratz streetwalker). I'm right there with you with all this stuff!
P.S. Don't you dare ever feel bad about hiring someone to help clean. I only have two kids, and I can barely keep my head above water with my house. When it does stay clean, that means that's all I'm doing and I'm following everyone around, picking up every little thing, which makes me crazy and everyone else crazy as well. There is so much more that needs to be done, and if someone can help out-GREAT!
P.S.S. Reading this post reminds me why we were such great friends in high school. A healthy dose of laughter and sarcasm definitely makes life more fun. Thanks for doing this. Your grandchildren will love reading every word, knowing you were completely normal with a great sense of humor.
I am not really into sports (weird, I know, because I was in high school and college...or maybe it was just the guys who played them that I was into). I love to paint my nails and get a pedicure whenever I can afford it. I used to have a cleaning lady come every other week and it was AWESOME but I am trying to save some money right now so I am cleaning my own toilets and they really aren't all that clean. I am with you on the sweater vest thing. I think we had about 30 between the two of us while we were roommates in college and now they are back "in". Remember when I told you that one of your favorite outfits didn't match? I think it was a blue/black thing. I drink at least one diet soda a day. Mostly for the caffeine but I wish I didn't. I am not nearly as disciplined as I wish I was. I think humor is the best medicine...fixes most things. Your comments about your hair made me laugh. I like your hair! Do you remember when I died it purple in college? So sorry. I was surprised by your comments about public speaking. I have always admired your out-going-ness.
OK...I'm dying. The first thing that jumped out at me on your list was that your hair falls out after having a baby. I just did a post about that (I didn't actually post it, but I will) I HATE that too. I lose at LEAST half of my hair and I'm at the stage where it's all coming back in, so I have this 1 inch afro all over my head. Not good.
And I loved your comment...I know you can totally relate to the big family thing. And honestly, I wish I COULD just stop by your place for a long afternoon-into-the-evening chat! Maybe if we can't establish an exclusive neighborhood, at least we could have some big girl bash somewhere.....someday. We could always crash Mindy's place!!
PS again...i just read more of your list. your "hers" are bookmarked. PW was my sanity last summer when Barrett worked away for a few months. And I HAAAAAAATE ironing. Hate it.
That was great! I don't know if I could even come up with 100 things about me. Maybe I will give it a try sometime. Number 90 was my favorite, I love the sarcasm and I totally feel your pain.
i can't accessorize or wear lipstick either. and i guess i will NEVER be a runner.
this post was fun. although i laid awake for hours last night thinking about 100 things about me. and i thought in short sentences. like these. for hours. i'm saving my 100 things for my 500th post.
do you mind if i add you to my blog list?
ok so yes you do love your sweater vests when i look at all your old pictures from highschool and college you most likely always had a good sweater vest on, and i hate skinny jeans my friends talked me into buying a pair for $15 and i still haven't worn them.
Sharese, what a fun read. I feel like I know much more about you. Unfortunately I'm better expressing myself vocally, so I will probably not make a similar list anytime soon!! I was happy to see that I'm not the only one who distinguishes between a jogger and a runner.
You crack me up! I wish I had your sense of humor. so fun to learn more about you. I have exzema also. did your kids get it? my poor Scarlett did.
Hire a housecleaner. It's the best thing I ever did!
Post a Comment