just in case the sports thing doesn't pan out.......
there's always drama,
or fashion.
Which brings to mind some questions that have been weighing heavily on me lately. Must every young girl take dance classes as a rite of passage? Will my girls feel angst and disappointment in the future as a result of not learning how to do "jazz hands"? Unfortunately for my girls, I am not a big believer in dance classes. I was in more dance recitals than I can remember and have the bad pictures to show for it....(someday when my scanner is working I might even share a few) AND my mom was even a dance teacher for many years. I really do admire those who CAN dance but for me, it is just not something that has proved to be valuable in my life. Sure, I can still do a mean time step....with variations even..., and I do have some rhythm but the only place that I have needed to "dance" in the last 10 years has been at late night work functions (with Travis) and a bunch of his drunk co-workers.
So, I have signed up Emma and Halle in a few dance/tumbling classes over the years and at this point I am ready to call it quits. Maybe they will be mad at me in the future but at least I am saving them from the embarrassment of walking around with rhinestone-emblazoned bottoms. (you know what I am talking about) I think I will just teach them the five steps that I remember: time step, jazz hands, box step, grapevine, and the sugar, sugar. Add that to a bit of kitchen dancing with the radio turned up and I think they will be okay.
And don't get me started on cheerleading.....we are teaching our kids that it is far better to have others cheer for YOU, not the other way around. (that might backfire on me in the future)
3 comments:
What will they do if they don't have any ugly, never in fashion dance pictures to show their kids? I think you are doing the right thing. Though I still think you should report those stinky diapers :)
Now it's those line dancing lessons that will really pay off in the future. I mean who doesn't love a little "Texas Toosh Push"? (not sure of the spelling)But you can always get the girls enrolled in those later.
It's so nice to be back to my computer, so I can read your blog! I've missed it!
I remember those hot dance pictures you were talking about. My sister has a bunch of them from your mom's classes, too, and we laugh every time she digs into her storage boxes.
Post a Comment