Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I did a bad thing

So, last week my kids' school sent a note home saying that they were collecting all sorts of things to send to the troops for the holidays.  One of those things was prepackaged candy.  Since we still had heaps of our trick or treating stash left over, I loaded up a grocery bag with a generous amount and then double bagged it, tied it up, and set it in the laundry room so I could send it on its way the next morning.  As my kids rushed out the door to school I told Jordan to grab the grocery bag and put it in his classroom's collection bin "for the troops".  I watched him go and felt relieved at the sight of 8 lbs of cavity-causing candy leaving our house.  I then went through my usual morning clean-up routine for a couple of hours which inevitably led me right back to the laundry room later that morning.  And then I saw it.  The double bagged candy right where I had left it.  right.  next.  to.  the.  double.  bagged.  dirty.  diapers.  that.  I.  had.  left.  there.  that.  morning.  to.  go.  out.  to.  the.  trash.  
I was horrified.  I am still horrified.
So horrified that I didn't do anything about it.  Every time I think about it, my body shudders and I envision the unlucky teacher/PTA volunteer/private first class who opened the bag.  I mean, it all ends badly so the last thing I could do was call and claim it back.  The positives.........no name on the bag, and Jordan has no idea that he unwittingly did something that he could be ridiculed about for the rest of the year.  Wow.  My very own protest of the war....a proud moment in my life.  One to be recorded and some day laughed at.  Right?

10 comments:

Amy Eagleston said...

Holy cow! You have to call and tell them. It is going to stink up the classroom and maybe ruin some of the other items that people donate. It was an honest mistake and yes you will laugh at it for a long time to come. But call them...leave an anonymous tip...something!

Skubaliscious said...

SO FUNNY.

So glad it wasn't me.

Still laughing....

At least they were double bagged.

amy16 said...

So you totally get the mother of the year award. I thought stringing my son up by his pants in the garage door was bad. I bow down to you.

Thanks for the laugh!

Mallory said...

That was the most hilarious thing I have read all week!!! Thanks!

Ashley said...

oh my goodness sharese that is unbelievable!!!! haha

Amy F. said...

That is the funniest mom story I've ever heard! That is one that you will tell over and over again!
My son has thrown a bag of dirty diapers over the fence into our neighbors yard, but we got it out before they noticed!

Sina said...

Absolute classic Sharese! Thanks for sharing - you make me laugh.

Nicole said...

I think this is the funniest thing I have read for a long time!!! That rocks.

Lydia said...

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS! THAT IS SO AWESOME!

Cari said...

I thought i was the only one who had experiences like that in life. I am laughing so hard that I am crying. It is SOOOO nice to know I am not alone, in those major hysterical moments in life you just can't ever fess up to.