We were driving home on Sunday from having dinner with the family and as we got onto the freeway, Travis jokingly said, "Hey guys, if we go left we can head downtown and hear Barack speak and if we go right we can see Sarah Palin". We all laughed and headed towards home. No sooner had we gotten on the freeway than we were passed by a HUGE motorcade of police cars, and large white vans with heavily tinted windows. It was a sight to see and we couldn't believe our timing as we pulled in right behind them. It was pretty cool to see how every on-ramp and side street was being blocked off on all sides. Then, to make things even more exciting, they got off on OUR exit. Did we follow them? Heck ya we did! I mean, sure it might have been a school night and our two youngest were already asleep in the back but how could we pass up such a great opportunity to be a part of something like this? We ended up in a small town about 10 miles from our house, parked about a mile from the local fairgrounds and then hoofed it (me in high heels) with all our kids to the rally. It was a crazy atmosphere with "Redneck Woman" being blasted over the speakers followed by "North to Alaska" and a few other classics. Can you guess which candidate we were about to hear? ........maybe a certain hockey mom with a penchant for lipstick and one-liners. As kooky as Sarah Palin is, I have to say that it was awesome seeing her in person and hearing her speak. She was funny, confident, and had the perfect audience of country folk and conservatives in the crowd cheering her on. She is definitely someone I am intrigued by and seems like the type of person I would like to be friends with even if she isn't the most qualified person to help lead our country. It was a very cool experience for all of us and I am glad that we were spontaneous (now that my blisters are all healed) and didn't just go home. I don't think my older two kids will ever forget it, especially the part where they were freezing and wanted to buy hot chocolate but we didn't because it was Sunday. Here are a few pictures from that night.........taken on a cell phone so forgive the poor quality.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
my requisite election post
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That is so cool!!! And your picture are actually pretty darn good for a cell phone camera!
That is way awesome that you went to a Palin Rally. I not a big Palin fan but I would love to see her speak. Good work.
What are the odds of your timing?! I love the picture with the younger kids looking quite exhausted and the older ones looking as if in heaven. What a great opportunity for them to see political campaigning in progress, especially in Ohio.
When we lived in Ohio during the last election, I remember Jeff and I constantly battling over our polar opposite political views and how disappointed we were in each other when on election day because our opposing votes pretty much canceled each other out. It was a fun state to live in, knowing our vote was significant.
thats cool you got to see a celebrity. ha. I love how Amy posted about Obama and you Palin! Way to get involved. (loved your Halloween costumes also)
That is really cool. No matter who the candidate is I always think it is exciting and patriotic to be at a rally.
Post a Comment