Monday, January 12, 2009

My non-resolutions

I have been trying to no avail to come up with some resolutions that I could actually stick with this year.  After a lot of thought, I have come up with a slightly different plan to better myself in the coming year.  I am going to make monthly goals that I am determined to stick with because 30 days is much less daunting than 365, right?  Also, I have always heard that if you can do anything for 30 days in a row, it will become a habit (good or bad).  So, each month I am going to come up with something that I need to work on or that will help me become a better person.  

January/February:

Spend $0 on non-essential items

One of the things I am trying to work on is spending less $ on silly things or things that we do not need.  Since January is almost halfway over, I am going to stretch this goal into February in hopes that I can simplify, bring less clutter into our home, clean out things we do not need, and save a whole lot of money in the process.  As I did some deep cleaning last weekend, I was astonished at how everything piles up and before you know it, your things are controlling your life.  It seems like yesterday that I was a young newlywed with very few possessions, trying to accumulate furniture and other necessities to make our house a home.  Now, only 10 short years later, I would love a fresh start to de-clutter and get rid of all the things that are taking up space and causing me to have foggy corners in my brain just knowing they are there.  I know that it is difficult to streamline things with small children and all their knick- knacks, oh the knick-knacks.  So, this month I am not going to buy ANYTHING other than groceries and other necessities.  No clothing, toys, Target stuff, etsy, books, fabric, craft supplies, etc.  I went to the grocery store today and it felt really good to just be focused on what was needed and not distracted by bright and shiny objects.  I am really excited for this.  I think I will be amazed  at how good it will feel.  So, please don't pass any great sales or good buys my way.  In fact, if anyone would like two gymbucks for next week's use at Gymboree, let me know.  Cuz' I am NOT using them (but I might be tempted just a little bit if they are still in my possession!)

9 comments:

Sina said...

Okay Sharese - when you master this talent - I want you to send all ideas and tips my way! I am so sick of all the "stuff" around our house.

Sina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brett and Amy said...

Great resolution, and I love the monthly plan so much better. This was our chance to live clutter free. We are mostly unpacked, just down to the boxes of "stuff". Stuff that we don't know where to put, and we really don't need anyway. Last night Brett and I were talking about how the move back is going to be terrible. Because the other half of our stuff is in storage, which means it's all boxes of "stuff" we obviously didn't really need. Maybe we can just have them deliver our storage items straight to Goodwill.

amy16 said...

I'm glad to see "Target stuff" listed there...What's with that place. I keep telling J that I want to pretend we're moving just to clear out all the clutter.

Amy Eagleston said...

This is a great idea. I love your monthly goal and am trying to do the same myself. Just need to define "non-essential".

Becky said...

A great tactic I use when de-cluttering is walking into a space (typically a closet) and saying, "I'm going to remove ___ items from this closet." I try to shoot for a high number--it makes it more challenging. Then a get excited as I see how many bags full of stuff I can get out of my house! :) Good luck...keep us posted how it goes!

Nicole said...

LOVE it! Isn't it funny that we get a thrill when we get rid of stuff, just to turn around and get excited to get new stuff. A vicious cycle, I tell ya.

Lydia said...

Yay! It will be fun! I call it "playing poor" - it makes it that much more fun when you do actually get new things!

Lydia said...

The monthly plan definitely seems more attainable and way less intimidating. It will be fun to read your goals throughout the year.