Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Quest for perfection


My idea of a perfect trip?  white sandy beaches, sunshine, culture, relaxation....you get the picture.  

Travis' idea of a perfect trip?

Thursday:  Drive to Columbus to catch a flight to New Orleans. Get ticket for expired registration (since August?) woops!  Connect in Memphis.  Get stuck in Memphis.  Get two flight vouchers for $600 and free hotel room.  Of course he did.

Friday:  Fly to New Orleans in the morning.  Lose bags.  Wear same clothes from Thursday.  Meet up with fellow Ute fans.  Eat begnettes.  Walk down Bourbon Street(in the daylight, of course).  Go to pep rally.  Buy Utah stuff.  Listen to trash-talking 'Bama fans all day.  Go to game.  Cheer loud.  Lose voice.  Watch 'Bama fans leave early.  Celebrate like crazy.  Hop in rental car.  Pick up lost bags at airport.  Start driving to Nashville.



Saturday:  Still driving (speeding) to Nashville.  Catch flight with 1 minute to spare.  Need to shower.  Fly to Kansas City.  Drive to Lawrence.  Buy Kansas stuff.  Go to Allen Fieldhouse.  Bond with son.  Be thankful for firstborn son to take on crazy trips like this.  Cheer loud.  Lose voice again.  Celebrate.  Drive back to Kansas City.  Really need to shower.  Catch flight to Phoenix.  See Mom on her birthday.  Drive to mission home.  Shower.  Hug parents after shower.  Sleep.  Sleep.  Sleep.

Sunday:  Go to church.  Chill.  Skype me and the kids.  Catch up with parents.  Hang out with good friend J.D. and his son, Easton.  Pick up broker from airport.  Sleep.

Monday:  Sleep in.  Shop. Leave Jordan to hang out with grandparents.  Take broker to Mutual of Omaha tailgate.  Tailgate.  Eat.  Eat some more.  Watch Ohio State lose with 16 seconds left to Texas.  

Tuesday:  Sleep in.  Pick fresh oranges off trees in backyard.  Hunt for the perfect cactus.  Find open baseball field to hit and take a few ground balls with Jordan.  Say goodbye to parents.  Catch delayed flight to Indianapolis.  Arrive at 1 am.  Rent car.  Drive 2 1/2 hours.  Get home.  Sleep.  Sleep deeply.  
Wednesday:  Get shaken awake by two very excited girls, anxious to see their "surprises".  Hand out peanuts. Hugs all around.  Declare, "Best Trip Ever!  Utes should be #1!"

I don't go on too many of these sports themed trips.  Maybe I will have the energy and stamina in a few years......or maybe not.  While the two main perpetrators were away, I detoxed my house, caught up on some projects, and had some fun times with Eli and the girls.  My idea of a good weekend.

  

7 comments:

amy16 said...

Can I copy and paste that? I would add the 36 hours it took for 7 people to fly standby to New Orleans.....I think these two have the coolest wives in the whole world. I'm planning a "coolest wives" trip to cancun for sea and sun. Your welcome to come.

The funniest part is Trav's phone call to me bragging that Delta upgraded him to first class only to have the plane break down in some random city, then getting a ticket on the way to the airport.

It's a good thing I didn't know the whole story until they got home. I wonder if these men think things through. When is staying up for 48 hours and driving 90 miles an hour for 7 straight, with 2 little boys a good idea?

At least they have each other.

Reese said...

Yep. Count me in for Cancun (as long as it doesn't take more than two days to get there) I think J.D. and his group had twice the adventures that Travis did. I don't think any of them will ask for buddy passes for a while:)
Yes. I am glad they have each other.

Amy Eagleston said...

Holy moly! I am glad you got to stay home :) Travis is such an awesome dad. Jordan will remember this trip his entire life. Awesome!

Brett and Amy said...

Man, that's a good timeline. I can't recount that well when I was actually taking part. Your a good woman. Impressive cactus, or is it cacti?

Lydia said...

Wow, now that is a man's man trip. If I read this to Jeff, I'm sure he would start drooling (of course with different teams).

I'm with Amy (actually I just noticed that there are many Amy's commenting), Travis is an awesome dad. I can only imagine Jordan's excitement throughout the entire adventure.

That sounds great that you'll be around that Friday. Unless our ancient van breaks down, we'll be in your area in the late afternoon. I'll be able to give you the details as it gets closer, if that's OK. It will be so fun to actually talk in person!

amy16 said...

She forgot City Hall. That was awesome....It's OK travis it was past Midnight EST remember??

P.s. this is J.D.

Kayla said...

I am so jealous you got to go to the game. That was the best game.
-Jared