Tuesday, March 17, 2009

[[[[[[[[[[[[{{{{{{{{((((()))))}}}}}}}}}]]]]]]]]]]

Brackets
Some people around here have been obsessing about them this week.  For two separate reasons.  
First, it's that time of year again!  March Madness.  Anyone have a padded room I could borrow?
Second, Jordan's 3rd grade basketball team made it to the Greater Cincinnati Youth Championship game.  I posted at the beginning of the season about the team that he was originally supposed to play on.  Luckily, Travis was able to convince the powers that be to give him his own team (lest we be subject to "durbling lessons" for the whole season).  Problem was that we were only given 6 players to work with.  Luckily, they were 6 players that had a lot of heart, scrappiness,  and competitive drive to win .  And win they did.  Now, I am not the most sports savvy person you may ever meet but I have absorbed much over the years and I have to say that this was a fun season to be a part of.  Travis had these kids running plays, working together, and defending the ball like bulldogs.  I think they won by at least 25 pts in most of their games..........games played against teams with twice the size AND twice the players to utilize.  It was so satisfying to hear the snickers and laughs as our kids took to the floor each and every game as the other teams/parents sized up our smallness in comparison to their brutish strength.  Comments like, "Looks like we're playing the smurfs today...har, har, har..."
  By halftime they were usually silenced, stunned that they were losing to said smurfs.  We advanced easily to the finals of our end of season tournament over the weekend to face another unbeaten team in the championship game.  I was nervous all day.  Mainly because I really wanted our little team to be a literal David v. Goliath.  
The game was tough.  Our sixth player came down with the flu so we had to play with five for the whole game.  We had to be extremely careful on fouls and every time one of our guys went down, we all held our breath lest we be cut down to four.   They had nine players to pull from, lots of size, and we played on their home court.  They had also "scouted" us, learned all the names of our plays, taught them to their kids, and had even practiced defending against them.  (These kids are 8 and 9 years old)
They also had the ref on their payroll.  Did I just say that?  Yes, I did.  

1st quarter:  They went up 17-10, we thought we were dead.
2nd quarter:  We came back at halftime to make the score 19-18
3rd quarter:  Our shots finally started to really fall and we were up 28-24
4th quarter:  With four minutes left, the game was tied 34-34.  Then the ref decided to change a few rules, our shots turned into bricks, he called an intentional foul on us, and became the best player on their team.  We just missed a shot at the buzzer to tie.
Final:  37-34  Heartbreak city.  

Although we didn't win, it was one of the best games I have watched.  I know that I always give Travis a hard time for not doing much around the house but one thing is for sure, HE CAN COACH!  Some people are born to do things in life and coaching really is his true calling.  It's really a shame that he doesn't get paid for all of the time and energy that he puts into being a coach.  (if he did, we would be bathing in gold coins)

I, uh, made a little iMovie of some highlights from our last game.  It is my first project since I have been taking classes at the Apple store so don't expect too much.  And I know that basketball has absolutely nothing to do with Star Wars but I just couldn't resist..........my kids are in the droid phase at the moment.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

Amy Eagleston said...

That was awesome! So sad that they lost but they did so good and the video was great. You are so funny!

Ashley said...

you kill me sharese the music selection was probably the best part of the whole thing. Poor Jordan I wish they would have gotten that one, but they are tough little boys!

Idaho Stoker Family said...

Need I say what the last song reminded me of? Roses in the gym. That's all that needs to be said.

Lydia said...

Wow, Sharese, I'm impressed with your editing skills. Seriously, that was awesome.

Good luck with the March Madness. Jeff asked me yesterday if my brackets were ready, and I thought he was flirting with me. I had no idea what he was talking about, and he was so disappointed of my sorry basketball knowledge. Needless to say, our TV has been on since noon today, and I doubt it will go off for the next...well, however long this "madness" lasts.

That's great about Josh, by the way!

Brett and Amy said...

Man, you keep pulling new amazing stunts. Between your new video skills and those skills of your amazing offspring, we're just falling further and further behind. I'll have to watch it again on the other computer with some sound. According to previous comments, I'm missing out -but it was still superstar quality.

Sina said...

Nice work Sharese. I love your "Apple" skills.