This day has been very highly anticipated at our house since, like last March or April. I have to confess that when it comes to birthday parties and celebrations, I am most definitely not good at making them magical or memorable. Maybe that comes from being raised in a home with 9 kids and no time for such "nonsense"! Which is why I can't understand why my kids look so forward to their birthdays......by now they must know that their hopes and dreams will be dashed because I can't make a good cake, I don't plan a good party, and I don't even wrap their presents half of the time. I like to tell all of my friends that we only have friend parties at ages 5, 8, 12....and so on just to save on cost and give them something to look forward to. The real reason for this is my lack of desire to make the effort to actually send out invitations ahead of time or to put the effort into thinking up something creative and amazing! So this is my loser mom confession, sorry Emma, for not making your day more magical and special. Maybe you can look forward to next year and hope that maybe, just maybe mom will have a burst of motivation and really come through for you.
Actually, I do feel sad for Emma because she has been so looking forward to this day and even asked me repeatedly if I could call her Kindergarten teacher and ask for the day off. She got her wish but not in the way she would have liked it, I'm sure. I was woken from a sound sleep this morning at 3 a.m. with her at the side of my bed telling me that she thought that she had thrown up during the night. I plodded into her room and surveyed the damage of last night's dinner down the side of the bed and onto her precious blankets. It is amazing what you can let slide when you are half asleep and only have a nightlight to see by. I am not proud that I merely turned her pillow over and made sure that she could sleep without touching any of the offending vomit. She did go back to sleep and then made it into my bathroom for episode #2 at 4:30 a.m. That was it for the sickness so I am not sure what brought it on but she did get her wish of staying home from school. So for her birthday we got to do a lot of laundry, cleaned up the then-dried mess, and opened a few presents (from gift bags of course!) I am sending in some lame classroom treats tomorrow that I just finished baking-Emma has had this dream of puppy cupcakes all decorated with colored frosting to match each of her webkinz (which nearly gave me a panic attack!). I know it will be crushing to see my vanilla frosted creations with sprinkles in the morning...........I will post some new pictures tomorrow because my camera is out in my car which is outside in the cold since my husband decided to leave all of his baseball equipment in my spot and then left town for the week. I am in need of some good reverse psychology tricks to get him to take care of his things..........so far the subtle reminders and constant nagging just doesn't seem to be working. I can't imagine why.
Don't feel sorry for me, I know that I am not a good birthday mom but I am okay with that because I will always have my killer crossword and spelling skills to fall back on.
4 comments:
I love your honesty and I love that you know yourself and are totally comfortable with the type of mom you are and aren't. Emma is so dang cute and that picture is adorable. I have to say that I would have never even attempted to make cupcakes but would have ordered some from the bakery.
I'm with you on the birthday planning...I'm sad to admit that my kids don't know that normal kids even have birthday parties. (We've had 1 in all our family history of three kids, the oldest is 6...shhh, don't tell anyone.) Besides, all you have to do is hire our little friend Amy the birthday party master to do it all for you...you would just have to offer her a lot of money, unlimited babysitting to do your bidding and maybe some diet coke to keep her going.
OK, I have been reading back on your entries now that I have been informed that we are to be friends (from Amy) I feel I should get to know you. Does that frighten you? That's OK, Amy can fill you in that I may be strange but not that scary.
The note in the previous post from your daughter made me laugh so hard...even though I was recently told "I hate you" and "your a bad mom" and it made me weep uncontrollably behind a closed door.
Just for the record, Emma is still in the dark regarding my lack of skills so she actually had a very good birthday! I actually have already lined Amy up to help me with the family celebration....I can't even handle that! I will have to remember the Diet Coke and babysitting but I heard that I would get a W-2 if money was involved. Emma Jo, I am still a total novice at the whole blogging thing and I have to admit that I read some of yours before you read mine and was laughing out loud at your takes on life! Thanks for the comments, may the slacker moms of the world unite!
Post a Comment