As I referred to earlier, I do not enjoy party planning or entertaining for that matter but why I stress so much about it is something I am trying to figure out. We had Emma's family party last night and I seriously think that I was about to go into a full fledged panic attack by the time everyone arrived. I had been cleaning all morning and then at lunchtime I got a call from Jordan's school saying that he had a stomachache....keep in mind that he often has "stomachaches" but he had done a very good job convincing the school nurse that he couldn't make it until the end of the day. Not wanting to be thought of as a terrible unfit mother, I loaded the girls up and we went and picked him up. Amazingly, he seemed just fine and ate his lunch and then said, "This has got to be the strangest sickness, when I am at school my belly really hurts but then when I come home, it feels just fine." Well, we had a little talk about crying wolf and hopefully the novelty of getting sympathy from the school nurse will wear off quickly. Anyways, after cleaning and recleaning everything, entertaining a needy 3 year old, and preparing food, I was exhausted and unshowered at 5:30 p.m. which is right about the time our first guests were set to arrive. It was then that I remembered the wise words of Colin Cowie, party planner extraordinaire, who said that all of your preparations will be for naught if you greet your guests in a soiled apron with hair all askew. You should be a gracious, happy, and unstressed hostess who makes everyone feel welcome and at ease! Well, lets just say that my darling husband decided that this would be the perfect time to clean out the hamster cage and have our 8 year old son give the dog a bath. I managed to squeeze in a quick shower, throw some unflattering maternity wear on and come downstairs to a wet dog running through the house and a stinky hamster cage being cleaned out in the previously clean kitchen. This did nothing for my fragile mental state and a big shout out goes to my sis-in-law and her husband for keeping the peace between myself and my not so darling husband........
I also have to give huge props to my friend Amy, who spent the entire day designing and baking an amazing cake for Emma that far surpassed any of her wildest hopes and dreams. Thank you Amy!!!!! You have many new admirers from the Beck clan and also some future parties to plan if you are for hire:)


Emma wanted a Webkinz theme for her party so all of her cousins brought their own little pets and although it was a bit chaotic, everyone had a good time. Amy also was so kind to make miniature party hats for each of the stuffed guests. Emma loved her party and loved her gifts so all in all, it was a success!



........And now I think I will have a nap!
3 comments:
That sounds just awful! I never would've known you'd gone through all of that when I saw you. You were so put together, I would've been hiding in the laundry room crying. Way to keep it together, you fooled me. Hey, sorry I forgot Emma's party hat at home. That adorable face pulled off the miniature version very well though.
Emma's party looks like it was a huge hit. Tricia raved about how fun it was and told me how amazing the Webkinz fondant cake was. I'm so glad I got to see pictures-it looks fantastic. Happy birthday Emma! Hugs, Eva
www.freshandvintage.typepad.com
That cake is amazing! I was pretty stressed out planning Charlie's party and I didn't have a dog or a hamster to worry about so I can relate.
Post a Comment