Friday, March 28, 2008

The Cold Hard Truth

I was listening to one of my favorite talk radio shows today while driving in the car and it really made me ponder how I am living my life in some ways. The guest was an author who has a new book out about how women need to be honest and true to themselves rather than telling "lies" to appear smarter and more put together. While I am quite sure that I don't have a lying problem per say, it did make me think about maybe being more authentic and not being afraid to be vulnerable by really being myself. I think that all of us put up shields and walls in some ways to protect ourselves from what others might think if we truly just let it all hang out. So, here are some of the truths that I may not usually be very forthcoming about........keep in mind that in my current state of expectancy, I am not very mentally or emotionally stable!

~I do realize that globally speaking, I am very blessed to have good health and financial stability, food to eat and a nice place to live. Aside from these blessings and many others, I feel that it is very unfair that women should have to endure 9 months of weight gain, heartburn, awkwardness, grumpiness, sleepless nights, clothing malfunctions, etc. Only to have to go through labor, childbirth, more mental instability, hair loss, baby fat.......need I say more? I AM excited for a new baby in our home but I really think that after going through all of the hard stuff, women should be rewarded with something amazing, like some extra killer abs or a bit more definition in the gluteal area. Call me vain but it is hard to go through pregnancy and think of all the hard work that is ahead to get back to normal.
~I have very strange cravings right now, there are two things that I absolutely cannot live without: carrots and breath savers. As shocking is this may sound, I can go through 1 lb. of carrots a day and not eat much else which has now resulted in a very bad aftertaste of carrots and a lot of stomach and digestion issues. I think that I have been keeping the produce department at Kroger a bit bewildered at the increase in demand as of late. To be honest, it actually makes me sick to think of eating more carrots at this point but every morning by about 10 a.m., I find myself reaching for a new bag......
~My kids do not respond to the sound of my voice....I think I should get their ears checked.
~I have to teach the lesson in nursery on Sunday and it is about being thankful for animals. I am not very thankful for animals and so I feel bad that I will have to pretend for the sake of the kids! I don't know why but I have a hard time appreciating the need for animal companionship. Having a dog does not bring me any joy although sometimes I wish that it would so that I wouldn't get so mad when I have to clean up muddy pawprints or vacuum up dog hair on a daily basis. My family continues to try to help me get over this loathing problem but so far it is just not working.
~I am not positive but pretty sure that I have back fat.
~I have not been very patient, nice, or fun with my kids or husband lately and I am hoping that they will either forget or forgive me someday. I try to start out each day anew and be cheerful and easygoing but it is hard to keep up with all the things that need to be done and to referee the silly arguments over toy ownership or face-pulling. I know that my attitude has so much to do with the atmosphere in our home so I am trying to keep it together!
~I really don't like the color purple or the smell of fabric softener.
~I like doing projects and love to learn how to do new things but the truth is that I really should spend more time cleaning and organizing because I am not very good at the project aftermath. My toilets and bathrooms are usually in need of a good scrubbing and I should be better at keeping the piles of stuff in order. I do feel that the majority of my time is spent moving piles of things from one place to another only to do it all again the next day.
~My car really needs a good detail job both inside and out. It is a mess and has been the victim of several run-ins with bikes, bats, and who knows what else.
~I am not a big fan of cub scouts. While I appreciate all the work and effort that is put into the program by the leaders, I just don't feel that it is necessary for an 8 year old kid to have another program to attend when we are overbooked already. I am sure that by saying this publicly, I will most likely be asked to be the Den mother sometime soon to rectify my negative thoughts:)
~I love love love U2, folding clean laundry, getting magazines in the mail, reading a good long book, gradual tanning lotion, new clothes, watching The Office, eBay, good hair days, winning seasons, a clean house, blogging, chocolate, ribbon, alone time, fresh cut fruit, tivo, neat closets, nightgowns, take-out, ice cream, and hanging out with family.

I tried to end on a positive note! I just haven't been my usual bright and cheery self as of late and my dry sarcastic humor has surfaced so here's to turning over a new leaf and keeping it all real.........

4 comments:

Lydia said...

Sharese, you are so funny! I laughed throughout that whole blog. I couldn't agree with you more on being ourselves and stopping the madness of impressing others. It's so refreshing reading something like this!

Amy Eagleston said...

I am all for letting it all hang out though I must admit that there are times that blogger fodder scares me a bit and I do censor...mostly all the swear words that are running through my head. I love your honesty and I love this post. Thanks for keeping it real (as Dr. Phil would say).

Anonymous said...

Sharese--
We have more in common than you know. Ditto to all of your likes (the Office and chocolate both stand out) and dislikes (especially Scouts). I have to admit though that I do like the smell of the lavender scented Downy :) I hope you're feeling okay and hanging in there--excited for your new baby! Hugs, Eva

sina said...

Here's to letting it all hang out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJjF0zsVgo

And here's a possible solution to your back fat problem: Spanx Bra-llelujah's innovative, patent-pending design has naturally adjusting shoulder and back straps, made from a unique hosiery fabric that automatically conforms to your body like a second skin, banishing VBL (Visible Bra Lines) and minimizing back fat.

http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990081&cp=3010014.3013398&parentPage=family

I love your blog Sharese. You totally keep me entertained. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that is sometimes grumpy and struggles with the constant desire to keep a positive atmosphere in my home but the often inability to do so. We're hanging out for the arrival of your little guy.