Friday, May 23, 2008

"Can I have this for my Webkinz?"

My kids love their Webkinz. So much so, that they love to create beds, houses, cars, blankets, and clothes out of things they find around the house. Most of the time I don't mind since it usually involves using old boxes, scraps of fabric and so on. This usually goes on for a few days or until I can't handle tripping over piles of junk that get in my way and I throw them out. The kids have become very protective of their "treasures" as well as competitive to make sure they are first in line when a box is emptied of its original contents. I am a bit worried about starting a hoarding obsession because of all the junk that has accumulated and how upset they get when I try to get rid of it. I have discovered that black garbage bags are the only way to go so that they have no idea what is being thrown away. (Sadly, I have to use this very same tactic with my husband so that I can get rid of all the unnecessary items that he holds onto.) A very common phrase heard in our house is, "Can I have this for my Webkinz?" Most recently Halle has caught on to the idea and she is not picky in the least bit about what she adds to her collection of crap. It is now bordering on the completely ridiculous though........Here are some of the recently coveted items the kids needed for their Webkinz:





 





cereal boxes

paper clips

an old air freshener

an empty milk carton

A Cheetos bag

    A watermelon rind

boxes from Costco

envelopes

pieces of ribbon

toilet paper


You will be seeing us soon in a segment on Oprah about child hoarders and what to do if you think your child might have tendencies toward obsessive accumulation of worthless junk.









2 comments:

Lydia said...

Mental note to myself: Do not introduce Webkinz to my children.

Brett and Amy said...

I hope they don't pass those great ideas on to my kids. We have hoarding issues as it is. Gavin's on the top bunk, so it's hard to see what all is up there -probably better off not knowing- but I don't know where he finds room to sleep. During the night we wake up to his little movements because metal kitchen bowls are banging against the wall, or Jedi's are plummeting down to the sleeping child below. We'll have to have play dates at my house so they won't see the wonderful Webkinz potential in a watermelon rind.