Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to School


I want to freeze my kids.  They are growing up too fast.  I don't know why it is hitting me now........I didn't have any anxiety when I sent Jordan off to Kindergarten.  No tears at all.  This year just seemed like a big milestone for me.  I have even been looking forward to the day when my kids would be in school all day.  Now that I have two there, I am feeling very sad.  Jordan started third grade and Emma is in first this year.  She always has a bit of difficulty in new unfamiliar situations and I had to really restrain myself not to hide in a closet in her classroom or just zip over for a peek during her first day to see how she was doing.  All day, I had a lot of anxiety for her.  I was just hoping that she would make friends, feel comfortable, be herself, and not sit in a corner and cry.  Silly, I know.  I stayed at home and unpacked from our trip and told Halle that she couldn't grow up.  EVER.  It will be so great to have some quality time to spend with her and Eli but now that I feel like I am done having kids, the time with them just seems to be slipping away right through my fingers.  Before I know it they will be walking around with their thumbs glued to their cell phones and iPods stuck to their ears.  

I took Emma school shopping for the first time this year.  Big mistake.  For some reason she didn't appreciate my taste in clothes and gravitated toward all things trendy and HSM-ish.  She won't be coming with me again until she is 16 at least.  So this was the outfit we compromised on.

Jordan isn't much better.   I have given up on my ideal of the casual J.Crew surfer look for him and am now going for the wannabe gangster look.  Although he needs to wipe that cheesy grin off of his face.  For real.


Of course, they both had a fantastic day, loved their teachers and were so happy to see all of their friends again.  And they couldn't remember a stinking thing to tell me about it all.


7 comments:

amy16 said...

I feel your pain. Easton has not one new thing for school because he hates to shop (unless you count the Ute gear he picked up at fan fest) We loved having you here for the weekend.

Brett and Amy said...

Love Jordan's shants (short-pants)! He just needs some big gold chains now.

Kirsten Brockner said...

I guess I need to enjoy the last year of preschool with Beau! Next year he will start kindergarten. Cute kids!

Lydia said...

I love Jordan's facial expression. I get so mad at Tommy when I tell him to smile, and he pulls the most infuriating expression. Then I look through my pics and notice his dad does the same thing on most of the photos.

I love that you are battling with the wardrobe. I just started a pretty good war this morning when I told Anna she could not wear her princess shirt that she's worn three days in a row. I should've put it directly in the washer, but of course I'm a slacker, so Anna dug it out of my basket and has it on again. Aaahhh!

Nicole said...

Sharese! So you have four kids? Am I counting right? That's awesome. Now I have another blog to look at while I avoid the laundry....

Nicole said...

Ha ha! Rockin' good hair, huh? When my husband sees my pics from high school, I'm not sure that's how he describes it.

Isn't it interesting to look back at those times? It's funny to have read your comment as I was always so intimidated by so many in high school....you and Lydia included(and holy cow...that's HER on your comment list!). I went to our reunion a few years back and it's so weird to have all the insecurities come flooding back! I often say that I'm thankful for them, as I think it kept me out of trouble, but then again, I regret not getting to know people a little better.

And I have to say after reading your post about school...I'm SO TORN about the whole school thing. We live in Virginia (Williamsburg actually, so we're about an hour from Va Beach) and it's all day kindergarten here. My oldest should be going, but I'm not sending her. I'm homeschooling this fall and then if we move, I may put her in then. We'll see how it goes. I beg my kids all the time to stop growing up.

Ok, I'm writing a novel and I should be in bed. Good to hear from you!

510Jen said...

What a great day. Your kids are getting so big, gotta love high school musical.Can your little girl look any more like a Stoker?