I am forcing myself to sit down and record a few happenings from our holiday so that I can contain my desire to run through the house and take down every decoration in record time. I am feeling a bit cluttered. Especially with the new toys that Santa brought. It is hard to find a home for everything when there are extra knick knacks hanging around. So yes, I am a taker downer. One of those people who has everything down by New Years.
We had a lovely Christmas, spent at home for the most part with a few quick visits to celebrate with friends and family. I always find myself worrying that I didn't get enough presents for everyone but somehow it always works out and the things that I thought they would absolutely love are tossed by the wayside while the $2 last minute grab is played with all day.
The favorite gifts were:
Travis: (aside from my new body art) framed KU NCAA tickets OR the custom airbrushed shirt from my brother, Dallin, who had his name. Awesome.
Me: a toss up between Crest Whitestrips and fuzzy slippers
Jordan: Lego Star Wars video game
Emma: Spotted Leopard Webkinz
Halle: princess nail polish and Sleeping Beauty DVD
Eli: wrapping paper
Other happenings:
~I am now officially a person who prints addresses DIRECTLY onto envelopes (only took 3 whole days to figure out mail merge)........I am also a person who sends multiple cards to a few lucky people. We like you, we r e a l l y like you.
~I have not cooked a decent meal for my family since Christmas. My cooking mojo was all used up for the month of December by then.
~Our Webkinz population has reached maximum capacity. I think they are even reproducing on their own while we sleep. It is embarrassing how many we have accumulated over the last couple of years for birthdays, holidays, and bribery for good behavior.
~The kids drew names to encourage a "giving" spirit. Emma chose a rock tumbler for Jordan, and Jordan made Eli a leaf shaped pottery piece at school. Halle picked out a HSM bracelet for Emma, and Eli got some Polly Pockets for Halle.
~Santa brought a Wii Fit for all of us and it is hilarious! We all get the giggles every time we turn it on and see how dreadful our balance skills are and how our avatars directly resemble our body shapes.
~Our disposal broke, our gutters need to be professionally cleaned, and pieces of our roof are now residing in our front yard. No time like the holidays for home repairs.
~Being a parent is exhausting. But also awesome.
~I am not sure that I can still endorse the Elf on the Shelf. By a few days into it, my kids were having major competitive issues regarding who found it first each day AND I was using it far too often to inspire good behavior. Anything that involves being "first" at this house, aside from sports, causes a lot of grief.
~ I took my two oldest to see the movie, Marley & Me. It was a really good movie but probably not the best to take young kids to. I thought it would be fine with the PG rating but I had to cover their eyes several times.......and their ears. Maybe we have sheltered them a bit much but they got a little more "education" on the birds and the bees than I was bargaining for.
All in all, we had a great Christmas and I am excited for things to settle down for the next few months with no big events looming that require late night preparations and/or cooking overload.
I can't remember if this picture was taken while she was waiting and waiting for Santa to come OR if it was afterwards when she was asking where all the rest of the presents were.
6 comments:
Sounds like good times. Eli doesn't really look like he's taken to Santa yet. I love the last Halle pic. Classic.
Looks like it was a successful Christmas. I love the pics and your holiday spirit.
I'm a taker-downer, too! I made myself wait until Monday, but I usually start on Christmas Day! And thank you SO much for the multiple cards! We really like you, too!
I had everything down on the day of Christmas because we left out of town the next morning. The kids were crying as I took down the tree, and I felt like the biggest Grinch. I have to admit, it was so nice to get everything (including all the toys) all put away and organized so I didn't have to come home to all the madness.
Sounds like you guys had some great highlights. That is hilarious with the Wii Fit.
I hope you guys had a great New Year's!
Love the Gymboree outfits.
Trevor and I both agree that everything has to come down on the 26th. I think in future years I may even pare it down to the tree and stockings. I am certainly not one that "enjoys" decorating for Christmas, but I sure love getting it all put away!! :) Oh, and if you love the Wii Fit? Try Dance, Dance Revolution. Even our non-dancer, Timothy, fights to play. It's HILARIOUS! :)
Post a Comment