Tuesday, February 24, 2009

me no speaka photoshop

A year ago, I had just started blogging and had no idea that regular people used photoshop to make their pictures look better. Since that time, I have been introduced to so much in this wonderful community. I soon started to have desires that I hadn't had before. Like, man I really need a better camera. Or, I wish I knew how to do all that cool stuff to my photos. This past Christmas, we got the cheap-o version of photoshop, Elements. I have now spent at LEAST 20-30 hours trying to figure out something........anything, really. Guess what? All I have to show for my wasted time are some freaky looking photos that bear none of the desired effects. You know, bright shiny eyes.....flawless skin......brighter colors.......scrapbook style backgrounds. Nope. None of those. I have come to grips with the fact that for me, photo editing is something that will require my taking a class or devoting some serious time to which is not all that practical at the moment. I subscribe to a bunch of photography blogs in reader (love that reader!) and I hope to someday be able to translate all the photo jargon. What always happens is this: I open up PSE, determined to learn how to work a layer and then after about 30 minutes, I haven't gotten anywhere. So, I google what I am trying to do and/or research it on the blogosphere. 30 more minutes pass of getting distracted by bright and shiny objects and I am back to where I started!  Sheesh.  For the past few weeks I have pretty much given up on the matter because of other more rewarding projects.  Then, I found this website.  Hallelujah!!
A few short clicks and some easy to understand tutorials later and I finally am getting somewhere.  Baby steps.....but it's progress.  

Photobucket
Here is a picture I was messing around with for a very short period of time.  Not professional by any stretch of the imagination BUT, fun nonetheless.  (I realize his shirt is disgustingly messy, there is something wrong with his nose, and there is drool hanging from his lip)  Just the way we roll around here.  But, do you see the eyes?  

Also, by way of advancing computer literacy in our house, we signed up for the Apple one-to-one classes!  This was Trav's Valentine's Day gift to me......along with some beautiful flowers.  Romantic, eh?  Basically, I get to go to the Apple store once a week for an hour and they have to help me with whatever I want.  What a deal!  I have only been once but already have learned lots and I think it is a combination of having great help along with a whole uninterrupted hour of just focusing on one thing.  A novel concept for me.  Be prepared for some sweet skills coming your way (that is, if I can remember anything I have learned for longer than 5 minutes)

At least I know that this guy will be relieved to have a few less phone calls for help.   Now, I just need to figure out a way to make my PSE questions sound like Mac questions.  Any ideas?

4 comments:

Sina said...

I have no good Mac questions for you - but whatever you did with that photo of Eli - those eyes are beautiful. Though in my opinion they are beautiful with out any photoshop changes!! He is a treasure. Bless your heart for coming to YW last night - you will receive many blessings I'm sure and one day your children will remember how you used to drag them to the church and they will want to be committed to all things good and wonderful just like their mother.

Amy Eagleston said...

You are so funny. I love my Apple one-to-one classes. Seriously so fun.

Brett and Amy said...

I can't wait to enroll for my Sharese one-to-one classes. Your picture looks awesome. Before commenting, I clicked on your link all excited to see what the Hallelujah was about. What a bummer, it's in Spanish. Now I can spend 30 minutes trying to figure out how to change it to English. But something bright and shiny will probably distract me before I get to that point.

Nicole said...

Hey! I love Photoshop. Very much. But I NEVER photoshop my pictures ;o) ANd you have a mac? we should iChat. Have you ever done screen sharing? The coolest thing about THAT is that I could maybe even SHOW you how to do a few things in Photoshop...all while we are both in the comfort of our own homes. But I'll be wearing sweats and my hair won't be washed.