When I said that baseball season was right around the corner, I wasn't lyin'. Three days after we wrapped up basketball, Jordan and Travis left for their season opener in Atlanta. We were a bit nervous about playing our first games of the season against teams from the South who have been playing all winter. I really did want to go to watch Jordan play and also to experience baseball........southern style. After looking at the schedule of an 8 hour drive down and back with back to back games, I decided to keep my circus home and get updates over the phone. With Travis as the coach, I am on my own with the younger three and if I am present, I am relied upon for laundry duty, hydration, and all missing equipment, i.e. cups, hats, gloves, belts, bats, you name it.
Somehow, someway, our team kept on winning and made it to the championship game after beating some very good teams. Here are the final brackets from the tournament (after they had gone through pool play to get seeded for the next round).



These kids really exceeded any expectations that anyone had for them this early in the season. They didn't end up winning the final game but held their own especially well even with no pitching left after that many games (the other team had had a BYE and are the top-ranked team for their age group.......nationally) Also, due to the great competition at this tournament, the top two teams were given berths to the end of season Disney Elite Top 24 tourney at the Wide World of Sports complex in Orlando. We're Goin' to Disneyland(world)!!!!!
On a side note, many of you may know that keeping the Sabbath day holy is a high priority for us as Latter Day Saints. Weekends like this are challenging, especially when you are the coach, or a counted-on player. And, you have a team whose parents have driven a long distance and are relying upon you to be there throughout the whole tournament......especially if you make it to the final game. I am proud of Jordan for making the commitment not to play on Sundays. It is no small thing for a 9 year old to handle. At the beginning of every season, Travis makes sure that the parents are aware that no matter where they are, he and Jordan will be attending church on Sundays and if possible be there to cheer the team on afterwards. Luckily we have some amazing assistant coaches who keep everything running smoothly. I hope that others look upon our beliefs and the way we try to keep our commitments in a positive way rather than thinking we are being weird or unrealistic. At times I worry about it, but I know that in the long run of things, it will be more important that Jordan (and my other kids) are character-building by standing for something that they believe. And that is something that will serve them well as they grow up. Richard Hurd, a writer for Travelballselect.com, wrote an article about the championship game. (I would post a link to it but you have to be a member and I am guessing that most of you probably haven't had time to register there just yet) Here is the last paragraph:
The Flames burned strong until the very end, cheering on their teammates despite the odds. Perhaps the most inspirational was Flames star 2B Jordan Beck, who stayed and rooted for his fellow Flames despite being unable to play for the day. That’s certainly a young man anyone would be proud to call a teammate.
Isn't that cool? And now I will step down from my soapbox.......
The End.
5 comments:
I have chills. That is so cool!
Way to go Jordan!
Wow. That left me tearing up. He truly is inspirational. Good job Jordan.
Way to go, both on the field and staying strong with values! Nice to have a little positive recognition after all the negative regarding Sunday play. Your a good example Jordan.
Wow, that is awesome Sharese!
Post a Comment