Wednesday, June 2, 2010

School's out!

I have not been a very good "school" parent for the past few years.  I don't go in regularly to help out, don't belong to the PTA, and really don't feel all that guilty about it.  Instead, I try to hit at least one party during the year for each kid and then put in solid appearances at the end of the year so my kids and their teachers are left with the memory that I was there......at least a little bit.  I keep telling myself that I will be stellar once I don't have a little one at home and will be there every day to make up for all these years.  Except that once I have my freedom........I am afraid I will come up with some other excuse:)
Anyhow, we have a tradition (started by a cool neighbor friend of ours) of gathering at the bus stop on the last day of school, armed with wagon-loads of water balloons, silly string, water guns, and other paraphanelia to attack our kids as they get off of the bus.  The funny thing is, that the kids forget every year and are taken by surprise as the water bombs crash around them from behind the bushes.  




The little guy was a great water balloon assistant.  In fact, I am planning in using water balloons as my secret weapon this summer to occupy my kids.  One package makes for several hours of outside time.......especially if you make them do all the tying.  (Just don't tell Travis when the lawnmower blows up from excessive balloon fragments scattered across the lawn)





These were taken after the kids chased all the parents away from the water balloon stash.  We ran for cover and let them go for it with what was left.  Halle took off towards home as soon as she saw what was happening and didn't come back until everything was gone.

This is the the stuff memories are made of........I hope.  Not the other nine months of the year that I let all the other moms take over at school.  
So now summer is upon us and I am attempting to cope with the in/out, chores/fun, no quiet time that will go on all summer.  I am beginning to think I should take up a caffeine habit......is that what gets everyone else through the day?  Have I been missing out all these years as a non Diet-Coke drinker? Hmmmm, may have to give it a try. 

4 comments:

La said...

Yes to the caffeine. And have a GREAT summer!

Amy Eagleston said...

I drink crystal lite focus...three times the caffeine :) I love your tradition! I'll have to start that one day when my kids go to school

SeQuoia Towner said...

That is awesome. One of these days I'll be down there with you. LOL. We need to get together and hang out soon.

Lydia said...

That is one very fun tradition that I would definitely consider if Tommy wasn't the only one at his bus stop. I'm sure that would look just plain crazy I was the only one standing there all crazy, throwing stuff at just one person.

Good luck with your summer schedule!