Sunday, April 10, 2011

tween

Forgive the bad phone picture but I am just providing an example of the great fashion choices of your average tween.  Up until now, it has been pretty easy to be in control over what is in her closet.  I have given up on how the outfits come together because that is a battle not worth fighting unless it really matters where we are going.  Emma is in third grade this year and is starting to be heavily influenced by what her friends are wearing.  Let me tell you, it is really hard to convince a 9 year old girl that the Gap is a better place to shop than Justice.....especially when that is where all her friends are shopping.  I honestly break out into a sweat when I have to go into Justice.......it is one of my least favorite stores, right behind Claires and Wal-mart.  So after months of begging and pleading, Emma wore me down enough to take her to get some "jeggings" from Justice.  Because she was the only girl who didn't own a pair and was desperate to have some.  (reminds me of the Guess jeans phenomenon from my adolescence)  
She has since worn them several times a week and is very keen on attempting to incorporate them into any and every outfit.  I am not a big fan of leggings/jeggings so this has been quite painful for me:)  I think the winning get-up from last week involved mismatched knee high socks (one striped, one argyle), jeggings pulled up to the knees, white skirt, blue shirt, white puffer vest, and a beret to top it all off.

This was waiting for me when I did the laundry last week.......she is obsessed!!  
Anyone else struggling with handing over fashion control to their young tween???

7 comments:

Lydia said...

I always loved the cute and original outfits my girls would come up with - but in 7th grade, Erin started wearing only Hollister or Aero T-shirts and jeans, and it made me sad that she didn't feel comfortable expressing her individuality anymore. Luckily, she has come out of her temporary shell a little more this year and I am seeing new combinations again. It's a good learning opportunity for them, and doesn't hurt anything, especially in 3rd grade. Emma has enough confidence to pull anything off, and everybody else will think its cool because she wore it!

Savage said...

Dude, so funny. I love this post, as always. Do they make jeggings for big girls? I think I could pull them off, what do you think?

Chessa @ Antsi-Pants said...

She cracks me up! Maybe she ought to do the laundry!

Amy Eagleston said...

That is awesome! Think of all the stupid stuff we wore. It is a right of passage! Just take lots of photos so that you can include them in her wedding video one day!

La said...

LOL. I feel you. I hate Justice, with a passion. Daphne isn't much of a fashionista, she requires everything she wears to be "comfortable". Which means half the stuff I buy her never gets worn. I wish she would take a page from Emma and get adventurous.

Becky said...

Hannah is happy to wear whatever she has in her closet which pretty much means a bunch of hand-me-downs from Jane. Doesn't help that her mother is the least fashionable person on the planet! We could BOTH use some help!

The note was my FAVE!!! :) And, Jamie, please be sure to post a photo of you in your jeggings when you get some. I'm sure you'll look as hot as ever!

Lydia said...

I'm so out of if, I have never even heard of Justice, let alone jeggings. Jeggings...that is quite the interesting term. Emma still looks so cute though.

By the way, let me know if you visit I.F. this summer. Hopefully we can be there at the same time!