Friday, June 17, 2011

a few things

 We are two weeks into summer vacation.......we have had good days and bad days thus far.  I am torn between two extremes of making my kids work and do lots of chores OR chill and have lots of fun and not worry about keeping the house clean.  Trying to find a balance between the two isn't working super well just yet.  Growing up, my mom woke us up extra early every morning in the summer so we could get our weeding done in the garden and accomplish all of our chores by lunchtime.  And, I still can't sleep in to this day!!  I vividly remember vowing to never make my kids get up early in the summer.  In fact, the one strict rule I have for them is to sleep in as long as they can!  (Although it is rare that anyone is still asleep after 8:30am.)
I feel torn because I really want my kids to be responsible and learn to work hard but most of their "hard work" seems to be done in the athletic sense.  In fact, I estimate that they spend more hours each week at practice /games/extra practice at home than a lot of people with paying jobs.  I don't know how to resolve all this in my head.  I don't want them to become self-absorbed athletes who expect others to clean up after them but I also realize that after a long day spent in the hot sun on the field, they probably aren't going to be too jazzed about putting hospital corners on their beds or picking weeds in the yard.
And, to be honest.......it is really so much more difficult to enforce their chores than to do it all by myself.  I have decided to make a really strong effort to chill about having the house super clean and to just try and have a good summer.  (please keep this in mind if you happen to stop by!)  My goal is to be able to leave the dishes in the sink and go outside with everyone else.......I am thinking that in a few years, they won't even need me out there to play catch with so I should take advantage of it now.  Side note:  Travis feels that my participation in any and all sporting practice with the kids may do more harm than good.  If you've seen me throw a ball, you would agree.
So, anyone else having difficulty balancing fun and work??

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps there will be some way to get a downtime from all the sports during the year? I think you've been doing a great job with the balancing act you do, love you and make sure they are complaining, that means you're doing a good job. ;)

Savage said...

This is why I think you are cool. Don't tell trent about the "hospital corners" on their bed....he would love that. I think your ideas are great they won't be little forever so just enjoy them and the dishes (because you always have tomorrow...right?) Your cool.really cool.